Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter

Let's beat cancer sooner

Kidney Cancer

7 Mar 2018 12:41

Hi, I do not know where to begin - My darling beautiful wife has just been diagnosed as having Kidney Cancer and we are currently going through an emotional rollercoaster as we await the start of treatment - to be discussed next week. The reason I am posting is that I am at a complete loss of what to say, what to do, how to act, what to cook, in general how to give her all the required support and motivation that will be needed, so any useful coping and caring strategies you can provide would be greatfully received, as we are the same as most people I suspect and was not prepared for a Cancer diagnosis ever.

The only thing we have had to smile about is that it has brought us closer together and also realize just how precious life is.

Thank You

Re: Kidney Cancer

7 Mar 2018 13:42 in response to Mark-R

Awful news. But I'm fairly sure, although I'm not a medic, that kidney cancer is often curable. So your wife has a great chance. I wish you and your wife all the luck in the world.  Harry

7 Mar 2018 16:40 in response to Mark-R

i too have just been diagnosed with kidney cancer. It’s a toughie for partners. My fella keeps me going with humour and a promise to not treat me any different. It has helped. I too am waiting for scans and appointments, the wait is the worst but embarking on this journey together will give you a deeper connection, you will both support each other. Good luck to you and your wife. Keep us updated on how things are going.x

8 Mar 2018 04:03 in response to GayleT

Just wanted to say hi, I’m Jo, I’m 44 and was diagnosed with kidney cancer last October ! I had a 9.5cm in my left kidney which was operated on ( radical nephrectomy) left kidney and tumour removal !  I can totally emphasise with you guys and if I can help by answering and questions, please just ask xx

8 Mar 2018 09:36 in response to Mark-R
Thank you all for your kind words and support, it is greatly appreciated.

12 Mar 2018 04:01 in response to Mark-R

Like so many others, this is a journey that my wife and I were totally unprepared for and at a complete loss of what comes next, after doing some reasearch we came across this book:

The Fabulous Woman's Guide Through Cancer: A Lifestyle Guide to Help you Through

Bourne, Nicola

This book is a fantastic insight into Cancer and what we can sort of expect, shining light into the dark areas to which we had no idea upon or were even aware of. I am not selling the book, but if like my wife and I knowledge of cancer was next to nothing then this is a great mind opener, with a tiny bit of humour thrown in for good measure. Well worth a read and nice and cheap if you have a kindle.