Kidney cancer

Hi , I'm Jo I'm 44 and since finding out I had kidney cancer at the end of the summer have struggled to find people to talk to in a similar position , so am really happy to be able to post on here.

My story started in the middle of August when I had a significant bleed, the out of hours doctors sent me away With antibiotics and said probably kidney stones.

Went back to my doctors a few days later who said look I'm 99 percent sure it's nothing ! Went to another doctor for a second opinion who luckily forwarded me for a cystoscopy and ct scan.

Fast forward and a 10cm rcc tumour was found on my left kidney.

Radical nephrectomy 8 weeks ago with pathology report T3a No Mo.

Staying positive is so hard , but I am lucky to have amazing people around me due another scan on Wednesday as a 3mm lung nodule

would love to chat with someone who gets my fears

• Totally get your fears, Jo. I have my next scan on Monday. I find it scary, even though my outlook is very good. I'm not a medic but know that lung nodules are usually benign. So try to hold that thought! And very good to see lymph nodes are not affected (N0)

• Thanks for your reply,

i guess I've got my head around the kidney cancer just if this thing is a spread to the lung it's just another battle !

Can I ask what your cancer was ?

jo

• Penile cancer. Fortunately caught early so I got off lightly. Or so I hope! Lymph nodes in the groin are still checked out every 3 months and I find this scary. But scan today was fine. So I'm happy.

• Hi jo,

my mum is currently going through this now but is finding she can’t sleep due to the pain. Can I ask how did you find sleeping and did you use any aid to help with it?

amy

• I have just had a robotic partial nephrectomy to diagnose a tumour in my kidney, other option was active surveillance. I made the right choice as the results confirmed papillary Type 1

I have just met with my consultant/surgeon who informed me that it was a complex procedure and unfortunately the tumour tore which I am on the understanding it was when my liver was moved as it was covering the  majority of my kidney and the tumour. He said it was minimal contamination and they performed a washout. This has now put me in the high risk monitoring.

How can he know it was minimal as surely you can’t see cancerous cells? Does it just take one cell from the tumour that wasn’t removed to enter my blood/lymphatic system to start another cancer or secondary?

How are things going for you now?