karen

My Dad has just been diagnosed with advanced colorectal cancer with metastases to the liver - large scale and widespread.  6 weeks ago he had mild constipation.  We are reeling.  Difficult as I live a good four hours away and there's just me, Mum and Dad.  I've become exceptionally well acquainted with the motorway network.

The cancer centre has been wonderful as we've travelled the diagnosis path and Dad has had his 1st chemo.  Struck a chord when I sawAmanda's post about a crystal ball - it is so hard trying to live in the now and not think too far ahead.  

I find it difficult too to assess the extent to which the three of us are all protecting each other too.

• Hello Karen, I am sorry to read your post. It is unbelieveable when you are given this news and it feels like nothing is real. I can only say as the mother of a son who had the same diagnosis, make the most of every day, make good memories and take care of each other. Sending you love lesliexx
  • Hi Karen,

I've been down this path as both a son and as a patient - all you can really do is take it one day at a time. Easy to say and difficult to do, I know. 

I hope your Dad's chemo goes well and is effective.

Best wishes

Dave