Just diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi all, I found a lump in my breast on 21 Feb. Saw GP and was urgently referred to the breast clinic, only to find there was a 9 week wait! My mental health couldn't cope with that, so I went private and saw a consultant last week. Having had a mammogram, ultrasound and 5 biopsies, I was told today that I have cancer. The pathology results have not been finalised so they'll not be able to tell me the staging until early next week, but I've been told I'm going to need to have an MRI to see if that can cast more light on matters. Once staging is confirmed, a treatment plan will be put in place, but I've been told today it will definitely have to involve surgery one way or another. Whether chemo or radiation is required will depend on the stage.

In a weird way I'm a bit calmer than I was before I had the diagnosis - the waiting was horrendous (and had I not gone private I'd still be waiting for my  NHS appt, which was not until 24 April!) I do feel like I can do this. It's not the end of the world. I think if I can get my head in the right place everything is going to be ok, particularly with support from this group x

• Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was diagnosed with breast cancer today, and I agree, I feel calmer now that I know what's happening. It's awful that you had to wait so long for the NHS appointment, I had a 4 week wait which I thought was bad enough! Luckily I've only got to wait until 16th April for my lumpectomy.

You're right though - you can do this, and we will all support each other xxx

•  

Hi Mammaof4,

I am so sorry to hear your diagnosis. Your consultant is quite right. The mammogram will show tissues up in a different way than other tests and clarify what needs to be done. I know that it is a nuisance  to have to wait for further investigation, but this is your surgeon being particular and, leaving no stone unturned. this is the type of doctor you want on your side at this stage.

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer 9 and 8 years ago respectively. I initially had a lumpectomy and had a double mastectomy second time around. I just want to reassure you that both are perfectly 'doable' and, were much easier to have than I expected.

Yes, it does seem strange to feel calmer when you have had a positive diagnosis, but this is perfectly normal. You should feel even better after your MRI, when you know your grading and what tretment you are likely to have post-surgery.

Are you going ahead with your surgery privately too, or are you back in the NHS for this?

This is certainly not the end of the world. If you can hold on to that positivity, it will serve you well. We are all here to support you in fighting this.

I hope that all goes well on 24th. Don't forget to let us know how you fare. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx