Just diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi I have just been diagnosed with stage 1 ductal invasive carcinoma after a mammogram because I was 50. I was referred to Edgware hospital for further tests after initial mammogram,The tests were not too bad apart from having to lie in an uncomfortable position on the table for the needle biopsy, I went back on 3rd February alone. I regret not having taken a friend with me, but I am taking a friend with me on 12th February when I will see the breast surgeon. And get the results of my second lot of tests. I am pooping myself! A cancer has been found in my left breast and I had to have the same tests on right breast because calcifications were found. The shock is slowly sinking in and my mind is like a soupy fog! I have not slept well since wednesday, I am fearing that cancer may be found in the other breast too! I have no partner to support me and I have no children. I have some good friends, but they are busy with their own lives and some have health problems too. I am so confused and tired! Any advice and support would be very much appreciated. I have told my brother and he sympathises with me. But I feel so alone. I nursed my mother with terminal cancer. I am finding it hard to be strong. And I need a damn good cry but I cant. Please help!

• Hi there 

Firstly I'm so sorry for your diagnosis.I'd like to welcome you to the forum we are a friendly bunch all here to support each other and give some comfort.

I was diagnosed with stage 2 ductal breast cancer on the 18th of December after finding 2 lumps in the bath.I'm 37 and married with 3 children.I remember the shock I felt because I couldn't belive it was happening to me! I felt like I was in a bubble and real life was happening on the outside.I remember that fog well I able to sleep etc or think.It will pass i promise,and in a week or so you will be able to function slightly like normal.

This part is the hardest.The waiting to get all the tests done and the results through.once you have all the evidence together and a treatment plan to work towards you will feel more able to cope. Try not to think of the future too much think of here and now and take each day as it comes.Think of each appointment as a stepping stone and step on to the next one and the next...

I'm a little further on than you so I can try and answer some question if you have any.I've have a mastectomy and I'm starting my chemotherapy next week-these may not even be things you need to have? 

Here to chat or even for you to vent.lf need be.

• Hi funky fudge. My name is Audrey I went through the horrible shock you are going through last July. I was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer with three tumours in left breast. I fully understand how you must be feeling, I went alone and was in total shock. I had a serious of biopsies, MRI scan and ultrasound. The waiting is the worst experience ever with your mind going into overdrive. Once I knew the treatment plan I settled down into thinking the sooner the treatment starts the sooner it will be over. You will find it easier to deal with when you know more. I had a mastectomy in September and now having chemotherapy. It's a lot for you to take in, you are probably still in shock. This site has so many kind people who have been through the same or looked after loved ones, you may find it a good place to write your feelings down and get things out. Love and best wishes x

• Hi there, I was where you are now last February so, like Ness & Audrey, understand the worry, stress and confusion you are feeling at the moment. I found a lump on my left side but during the tests a different cancer was found on my right side so I ended up having treatment for both. As Ness has said ,the waiting for a definate diagnosis is the hardest part but once you know what's what you can get it dealt with and you will start to feel a little calmer. I had all my tests done on the same day but then had to wait 16 days to see the consultant. I also went alone which was a mistake so I am glad that you will taking a friend with you on the 12th.They can act as a second pair of ears for you while you are caught up in the soupy fog and can I also suggest you write out a list of any questions you may want to ask as you may not be able to think of them all at the time. I asked things like if it is cancer then what grade is it and what happens next, when does it happen, what are the recovery times etc.Some people don't want to know all the facts but if like me you do then it is good to have as much information as possible.

Like you, I have no partner or children and although I did not know of this site at the time, I found it a little later and have had a lot of great advice and help so you have definately come to the right place. Although good friends and family can be very supportive, everyone on here really gets how you are feeling and are so willing to pass on their experiences and helpful tips. It is very comforting to know that others can help in this way and if you have any questions, like the others, I am happy to help.

Although I still have a few persistent side effects from my treatment, I am now a year on from diagnosis and have just had my first clear set of annual tests so am proof that you can and will get there whatever happens.

Take care of yourself and we are all here for you...   Sue xx

• Hello and thankyou for the replies, support and good wishes of the people who replied to me. It is very comforting to hear these things. And I am sorry for the path life is taking you because of your cancer and the treatment. Friday seems a long way off, but I am will try to keep an open mind. 

Thankyou all xx

• Hi funkyfudge. I hope Friday comes quick for you, not that long now. Best wishes for then, will be thinking of you x

• Thankyou Audrey for your kind wishes X. 

Will be posting news on here. I just wish this fatigue would lift, my body would stop aching and the pain in my eyeballs would go when I shut my eyes. I feel like I have run a marathon. No doubt many others posting on here have and are feeling like this. 

Take care everyone x

• Hi 

Sorry to hear your feeling so tired.Yes your right I felt like that just after diagnosis.I'm sure it's the shock lack of sleep and not eating properly.It will settle down meanwhile keep talking to us it really helps.

Take care Ness xx

• I know exaclty how scared you are feeling, I too have just been diagnosed a week ago with stage 1 and stage 2. I too was on my own when I first told and felt like I had been hit by a steam roller. I haven't been able to eat, sleep or concerntrate since.....like you say a soupy fog. I think waiting for your results is so hard as your mind is just going on overdrive and you think the worst. You need to find a friend that can help you through this, as you need someone to talk to and support you that will understand. I wish you would cry as i think that would help you release some of your worries. Have you been allocated a breast cancer nurse to talk to at the hospital. I've only just joined this group but i hope you find some comfort and strength from here.

• Thankyou to everyone who replies to my posts.

Last night I would have had a much needed good night's sleep if it wasn't for Imogen. She had a merry dance with all the wheelie bins! I felt a bit better today and managed at work fairly well, bit tired at times. I have not yet told my boss of the Mcmillan information regarding employees with cancer and the protection of their working rights because we are now classed as disabled and have to be treated with equality. I am planning on having a meeting with my boss and the HR manager soon.  I just hope I get their full support, co-operation and understanding and provide me with the services of occupational health. I find having to talk about this a bit daunting! Whatever it is my right to have I will ensure I get it!

I am managing to eat and still enjoy cooking. But today at work I was freezing!  The CH needs servicing desperately!  Tomorrow I will wear thermals. I had a blanket around me to keep warm. I work in a nursery with young children and I find the love and energy I get from them helps me take my mind of things. And the things they say make me laugh so much. And I love working with them even though it is tiring and like spinning plates! 

I hope Imogen blows away tonight and I have a good sleep. The lavender oil really helps. And I hope you all sleep well. Thyankyou lovely ladies for your support.x :)

• Evening 

I hear imogen is going to behave tonight so you should get that much needed sleep.My fence was blown over today and my husband says it's had it so we've got to cross our fingers next doors HUGE dog doesn't eat our cats!

Regarding work-please don't feel you need to have a big meeting.I'm worried your putting pressure on yourself.I just told my boss is had breast cancer,they were already aware that I had 3 biopsys done.They were lovely and still are very supportive.They said I could have as much time of as I needed.I'm sure you will have the same experience.

I'd like to chat more but I've chemo at 08:45 so I need so sleep.

Take care 

Ness x