Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Just diagnosed at 34 with Breast Cancer

30 Jun 2019 22:18

Hi there,

I was told on Friday that I had Breast Cancer, completely shocked and feel heartbroken, I have a 22 month old daughter and can’t explain the depth of pain I feel.

I didn’t go with anyone to get biopsy results, as previously, I was given feedback that the lump found looked like and felt like fibrodemena it was only the biopsy which confirmed it was cancer. 

Waiting for more test results and for an MRI. To confirm all results. Initially I have been told it’s hormone receptive and grade 2 invasive inductal cancer, really hoping that someone can reassure me that I can get through this and share any feedback if you have been in a similar situation. I keep having breakdowns and feel I need to get a grip. 

30 Jun 2019 22:31 in response to Millie123_

Hello,

im so sorry to hear your news, it’s never nice to hear you have cancer.

i was diagnosed in May with the same cancer, I had surgery two weeks later, had a lumpectomy, got my results mid June and was told all was clear. I’m due to start radiotherapy in a few weeks time and have just started tamoxifen but otherwise all is good.

Breast cancer today has such good survival rates, they really know what they are doing these days. I appreciate it’s hard when you have young children, I have a 12 year old and my heart broke for her.

once you know what the treatment plan is going to be I promise you will feel better about things. 

Ploppy x

30 Jun 2019 22:59 in response to Millie123_

Hi,

I went for the appointment at the Breast clinic as I was having pain in my right boob, after an exam from the doc and a mammogram I was horrified when they said they had found a mass in my left breast, I too was on my own and was devastated, a call was made to my husband who immediately came to the hospital. After a biopsy I was told that I had grade 1 breast cancer. I have had a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy. The cancer hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes but they did actually find 2 masses whilst operating, I start a 3 week course of radiotherapy in a couple of weeks and I am now taking letrazole and mine his hormone related. I have been taking one day at a time but have always felt really positive. You will get through this, be strong. I thought when the c word is mentioned it is a death sentence but soon realised this is definitely not true. You will get through this. Sending lots of love and prayers

30 Jun 2019 23:03 in response to Ploppy

Hi Ploppy,

Thanks for your message, that’s reassuring. It’s good to hear your story. How are you feeling now? Any side effects from tamoxifen? Did you have MRI?  Such good news you have the all clear from your op. 

I am looking forward to getting MRI done, albeit terrified something else is found, I just want have the surgery to remove lump asap.

thank you for your words. 

Xxxx

30 Jun 2019 23:08 in response to Millie123_

I'm so sorry for how you are feeling just now. I can't imagine how unbearable it feels to hear such news when you have such a young child. The only blessing is that she is too young to worry. My daughter was 19 when I was diagnosed, and seeing her face when I told her still haunts me.

I finished all treatment (multiple surgeries and radiotherapy) in May last year. During diagnosis and treatment you are immersed in a world of words that are hard to apply to yourself. Scary words like biopsy, surgery, chemo, radiotherapy, scans, MRI etc.  This is the worst time of the whole thing, as you have a diagnosis, but have not yet got your treatment plan.  Things will definitely feel better when you know what you have to do, but for now it is normal, and OK, to be frightened and sick with worry.  We all understand.  You will be OK - you have your wonderful daughter to motivate you to get through all the treatment - and as @Ploppy ‍  says, the survival rates are good now. Your treatment is targeted to what you need. Thinking of you, though, at this horrendous time. 

30 Jun 2019 23:08 in response to Millie123_

I didn’t have an MRI, wasn’t offered one, told it wasn’t necessary. I’m feeling really good now,had some wound issues but nothing major and fingers crossed I’ve not had any side effects yet, if I’m honest I’ve been more nervous about the tamoxifen than anything else.

Hope you get your MRI soon, let us know how you get on x

30 Jun 2019 23:09 in response to GeorgieS

Hi Georgie,

Thanks for your message, I had to make the call to my husband from hospital too. It just felt like I had gone into an awful parallel universe on Friday with no way out. 

I hope the hormone therapy is going ok for you, let me know how your radiotherapy goes. Sending lots of support! 

I will try to be positive, it’s so helpful to be on hear and speak to people. 

Thank you xxx

30 Jun 2019 23:15 in response to Ploppy

I understand that, I am nervous about hormone therapy. Good to hear it’s been ok so far, glad you are feeling good. 

I think the MRI has been offered because the two screenings (mammagram and ultrasound) were struggling to see the mass due to my age, so it’s an extra precaution I guess. 

Wish you all the best and I will keep you posted. 

Xxx

30 Jun 2019 23:16 in response to Millie123_

Hi Millie

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too have been diagnosed on 11th June. A complete shock. 

What I will say is don't Google anything and stick to forums like this one and Macmillan. The ladies on them are all super supportive with everyone at different stages in their journies it will give you an idea of things to come. I have two young children and it's really hard for your mind not to run away with itself in those first few days after diagnosis. As the others have said BC treatment has and is being developed so much, medicine can really help with this one. 

I had scans (MRI, PET, CT) and got the results on Friday and also my treatment plan which has really settled my mind. I'm feeling much more positive than I was a couple of weeks ago and you will too once you know what's happening. Its the waiting and wondering / fear of the unknown that's the scariest part.

I won't say try not to worry because you will.

Try to remain positive and pop on here if you're feeling low there's always someone around to bring you back up. 

Take care xx

30 Jun 2019 23:23 in response to Blackcat01

Hi Blackcat, 

Thank you for your message, I am feeling better already from these messages.

My family will help me get through it, just going to come on here when feeling low to see I am not alone. Just going to get through each day, until I get more results/plan of action. 

So glad your treatment has finished, hope you are feeling well. Your daughter must be so happy you are finished with treatment! 

Xxx

1 Jul 2019 03:03 in response to Millie123_

Hi, I’m 34 and have just had a lumpectomy for a grade 3 triple negative cancer. Start chemo next week. Would love to help you with any questions or worries you have. If you have Facebook look for my blog ‘threekidsandcounting’ xxx 

2 Jul 2019 08:34 in response to Millie123_

Hello lovvie, I’m the same as Ploppy, well a couple of weeks behind her in fact.  Diagnosed at end of April but had to wait for my next period to have an MRI which I had on 18th May. They like to check just in case there are other nasties lurking in either boob that they didn’t catch at mammogram (mine didn’t show up at mammogram).

Results of MRI a few days later.  Surgery booked for 14th June.  Wide local excision under breast and 1 lymph node removed.  Went back last Thursday for my results and all clear!  

Next stop tamoxifen and then radiotherapy in August.

Please try to stay positive - so many of us are going through this to lesser or greater degrees.  You are not alone.  It’s one of life’s blips (admittedly one we could all do without!)

Keep us informed   X

2 Jul 2019 08:42 in response to Ploppy

Hey Ploppy - have you started your tamoxifen yet? I must admit I’m not keen on taking it but I will do, of course.  Am quite worried about the side-effects.  The breast cancer nurse I saw last Thursday actually said to me, DON’T read the list of side-effects on the leaflet that comes with the pills.  The main ones that you need to know about are ......

Anyway, I have to phone the docs this week and make an appointment to go and get my first prescription - and a prescription “exemption” (?) so I can have them for free??

Onward and upward, eh? X

2 Jul 2019 09:15 in response to NobbyWatts

Hi Nobbywatts, 

Thanks for your message, I am still waiting to hear from the hospital since diagnosed on Friday about dates for MRI and more results. Feeling very up and down at the moment, did you feel like that at first? The waiting is very difficult, trying to keep busy. 

That is excellent news about the all clear! Must be such a relief. I am worried too about hormone therapy but focusing on results and op first. Let me know how it goes taking it, I will keep you posted too. Best not to read side effects, just go the the flow and you might find you do not have any or they are not bad. 

That’s a good way to look at it! Xxx

2 Jul 2019 09:35 in response to NobbyWatts

Hi Nobby,

Yes have been on it for about two weeks now, no problems at all so far. I was told that if you do struggle with it you can change to a different brand as sometimes that helps, but all good so far.

I’m surprised you didn’t get an exemption form from the hospital, the day I was diagnosed my Breast cancernurse told me to apply straight away, it’s great free prescriptions for 5 years and not just tamoxifen, every cloud and all that. 

I’m hoping to get my letter this week regarding my radiotherapy, that’s the final part then I’m all done.

were you advised that you get a parking permit for the days you are having radiotherapy, I was told once my date is confirmed and I have it in writing the hospital will give me a parking permit to save a bit of money.

we sound like we are in the same boat, I too was clear after surgery, you can’t ask for more than that can you. 

Let me know how you get on with the tamoxifen, I just keep thinking, this wonder drug is doing amazing things for my body Happy