Just diagnosed

Hi, I sadly was diagnosed with a malignant colonic tumour this week. They said I will need both a ct scan & mri and depending on the results, hopefully they can perform laparoscopic surgery to take the part of bowel away.  
I naively thought the scans would be done straight away but it seems there is a 2 week rule to get them done.  I have an appointment for the CT Thorax +abdo +pelvis with contrast but it's not for another 10 days ( just in the 2 week rule) but no date for MRI.  I just want to know that the cancer is contained in the bowel and the waiting is just awful.  Is it normal to have to wait?  Maybe I'm lucky to already have a date for the  ct scan & im just being too impatient?

Any advice welcome. Thank you

• Hello PanickedSue, 

I just wanted to welcome you to our forum and I hope that you will hear from some of our members who have been in a similar position before and that they will tell you more as to whether they experienced a similar wait. It must be so awful for you to have to wait and the best thing to do if you can is to keep busy and distracted while you are waiting to find out more. Easier said than done though! Our nurses may be able to guide you further on this so feel free to ring them on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. 

I hope you will get the answers you so desperately need very soon. 

We're all here for you anytime you need to talk. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, I hope you're feeling ok today. I've had to wait a month for my tests to start, but I live in Glasgow. In Scotland the 2 week rule is only a guideline. (More like a myth!!!) I have a CT scan tomorrow after first going to the GP on 16/10/19. My GP wrote to the hospital 3 times because my lump was getting bigger. (Lump on jaw) Eventually I was told to get in touch with the Appointment Coordinator at the hospital. If you phone and tell them how panicked you are and could they give you a cancellation if one comes up, you might just get seen quicker 

I know the waiting is horrendous. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sorry I can't give you any answers but just thought I'd let you know I'm thinking about you. Take care and let us know how you get on. 

• Hi Sue

The waiting is a pain in the a&^% isn't it?  Its is however the norm for a lot of people.

I was lucky that I live in surrey, and am served by a hospital which has the ability to run most tests in one day, following which, in my case, I was unofficially told that it was most likely breast cancer. The following week had it confirmed. Though most tests were done on the day as above there were further tests (and what felt like about 50 biopsies) over the following 2 weeks also re heart & bones pre chemo.

Seeing others stories about treatment, timings etc.  I do believe that there is a distinct lack of consistency between treatment centres so safe to assume just because something has happened elsewhere that it may not be the same for you, do however read others stories on this forum (also recommend McMillan too) as can give you ammunition if you don't feel that you're being treated as well as you should.

Good luck with results and treatment.

Sam X

• Thanks so much Sam.  I've got my MRI today now & CT in a week so not so bad I guess. 
    it definitely helps reading the posts on here.  You guys have all been through so much!  
    Sue