Just diagnosed

Hi lovely people,

My father in law has just been diagnosed with advanced single cell lung cancer which has spread to ribs and hip. He is our world and the hardest thing is to stay positive for my children who adore him, they were told last night. He starts chemo and radiotherapy next week and wondered what were the common side effects and how do people over come them? I am aware that tiredness, nausea and vomiting can be common but as an anxious onlooker it would nice to know what we could do to help.

Many thanks for taking the time to read xXx  

• Welcome to the forum Zoe although I'm sorry that your father-in-law's single cell lung cancer has spread to his ribs and hip.

I just wanted to stop by and share some information we have on our website about the general side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy and to give you our cancer nurses telephone number. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m so if you think it would be helpful chatting to someone with medical knowledge about this, do give them a call.

Many members here on the forum have experience of caring for someone with cancer or had chemotherapy/radiotherapy themselves and I'm sure some of them will post soon to offer their support and advice.

I hope this helps Zoe and I wish your father-in-law all the best for the start of his treatment next week. 

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator