It's back

Managed 4 and a half years free of the dreaded 'C' then just been told it's returned.  Have liver biopsy Tuesday then treatment,plan to start in the new year.  More scared than I've ever been in my whole life.  Telling my family was hideous and I'm sure they suffer just as much as I do............ never cried so much.  People keep telling me to stay strong but it's so difficult.  Wish there was a handbook on dealing  with this situation. I'm so grateful that my partner is here with me on this journey to hold my hand , give me hugs and help with the medication.

Wish I knew someone to tell me what to expect and reassure me that everything  will be alright. My previous treatment was surgery which I struggled to deal with but the thought of losing my hair, taste buds, sanity etc fills me with dread. 

• Hi there ... bless ya, once is hard enough ... no wonder your in tears ... just imagine how thick a hand book would have to be... no two cancers are identical, but a cristal ball may help, then again not ... but remember you kicked cancers butt once ... and theres a good chance, youll do it again hunny ... wer all here on this ride with you ... so you've got great people around you, wer so lucky to have a support around us ... yes it is hard on them, but together they will help you through ... 

Sending you a big caring hug ... Chrissie xx

• Hello to you.  What a bummer!  Don't laugh but I looked up books about liver cancer on reading your post - they are a bit thin on the ground.  The only one I found that was specific to liver cancer is an American one called "100 questions and answers about liver cancer".  It is in its third edition now.  Having left this website to go book-seeking I found myself referred back to the Cancer Research UK website where I found this book .  I doubt whether it was what we would think of as a guide book but it may well be helpful.  I am guessing you are already aware of the British Liver Trust who would also help you.  Very best wishes to you.  Anne

• Thanks guys for your support, had ovarian cancer in 2013 then given all clear after major surgery. This Sept had a pulmonary embolism and rushed into hospital (I live in greece and doctors and Medical staff have been wonderful) on a routine blood test my ca125 flagged up as high, further scans tests etc they fear it's metastatic cancer on my liver.  Exact diagnosis due after biopsy which is planned for tues then their talking about chemo first....... 

Trying to keep strong and just think once treatment starts I'll feel better New year is a new beginning so trying to feel positive. 

Hope it's a good one for you two as well

• That rotten old cancer sneaks around.  Best of luck with your diagnosis and ongoing treatment.  Do let us know how it goes (if you wish).

• Hi there Dantilly. I agree it's horrible. And there's nobody that can reassure us that everything will be alright. But you will stay stong because you have no other choice, and you will keep hope because there really are people out there who are living with cancer every day and not dying of it. My way has been to try to keep positive as far as possible and to try to keep as healthy as I can. I also take an active interest in my treatments. Every day I wake up and say to myself "it's not got me yet and it's not going to get me today" and then I live my life and plan my future. And so far so good. I was diagnosed in 2011 with terminal breast cancer, in all lymph nodes, widespread through both lungs, liver and another near my heart. It has been quite a struggle, but my cancer remains stable today and it has receeded. Nobody knows how I have survived so far, but I put it down to positively DEMANDING all treatments (hair and taste buds fully recovered at the moment), keeping as fit as I can, good diet avoiding rubbish foods, laughter, friends, family, asking for help when I need it, and a bloody minded sort of angry determination! Big hugs. You are not alone. Wishing you all the best. Big hugs, Mary xxx

• Mary thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement and support they mean a lot. I've looked at your website and again found lots of good sound solid advice. Have requested you as a friend hope that's ok so  we can chat again .  Jane x

• Thank you will do take care Jane x

• My pleasure. Thank you xxx

• I'm so sorry to hear that Dantilly - it's the last thing anyone wants to hear.  The first time is just horrific.  I can't imagine what you are going through honey.

Whilst everyone is different, I know someone who is on her second lot of treatments for cancer and is living a very good life - walks, holidays etc. 

There's no use trying not to be afraid. Part of us will be terrified and that's ok.  Try and think of it as maybe 90% of you is fine and you are training the other 10% to relax (just if it helps).  One day at a time is definitely the only way to handle the cancer journey.

Prayers and hope being sent your way Dantilly.  May you be blessed with showers of peace and trust.

• Hi, sorry to hear its back. I had BC 3 yrs ago, currently waiting for reults back from MRI , got to have an ultra sound tomorrow as found a new lump. They don't usually send me for an US so obviously Im worried.feel like I don't know if  can do it all again.

I did read a good book called "even the eyebrows" i got it from amazon and it is a humerous if sometimes usetting but brutally honest account of a lady going through cancer. It helped me a lot with what to expect. The things Dr's don't like to tell yoou what happens.

Its great you have a supporting partner. Try and let them help you as much as they want to.

Good luck on your journey xxx