Is this the end?

My mam has advanced lung cancer which has spread to the brain. Weve only known a few days that she even had cancer and the doctors have said she has probably got up to 3 months. We are devastated, I have been watching her intently the last few days. They said that's there is no treatment she have have as she is too weak but have given her steroids to reduce swelling. I am wondering though if we have less time. She is always tired, not always sleeping but says she feels tired. As she is in hospital I can only see her at visiting. She has really bad muscle weakness, she can't stand by herself and it hurts her when i try and lift her, even to sit her up in bed. She is a little shakey sometimes. As she has tumours in her brain too, she is often confused, sometimes it's not as bad as other times. She has to have a drip at night sometimes too as she is dehydrated and they've given her a pot of something with a dropper pipette in it for her mouth. Her skin is dry and she can't go to the toilet (for a number two). I can't stand the situation, my mam is quiet young but I would rather know. Do you think of your experience this sounds more like weeks or even days rather than a couple of months?  Thank you xxxx 

• Hello hdi and so sorry about your mum.  It is difficult for even experienced professionals to know how quickly a patient will go downhill.  They do their best to give an estimate but it can vary enormously even for patients with very similar conditions.    When visiting ask to talk to someone involved in your mum's care and discuss what you are thinking.  I consider they should really be keeping you informed about your mum's condition but I know that in practice the medical staff can be very busy and it just might not happen that they are around when you are visiting so I should make a point of wanting to talk to someone who can discuss your mum's situation.  I have helped care for family and friends with terminal diagnoses and I know that things can change quite quickly sometimes but also that when I have seen somebody go downhill quite quickly they can still hang on when it was not expected.  You have a lot to contend with at this time so please find someone at the hospital who can talk with you about this.  Annie

• Hello Hdi45

So sorry to read your troubles I wish there was something I could do to help other than send you a big hug.

Best wishes x