Is stage 4 cancer terminal ?

My nan was diagnosed with ovarian cancer a few weeks ago, after doing scans and blood tests etc. they found some shadowing on her liver and lung. The doctors said that she had stage 4 developed cancer. I don't really understand most of it (and half of it I've probably not been told) but does that mean it's terminal? Or is there a chance the tumor could shrink by chemo and removed via operation and she would be cancer free ? Or is it just a matter of how long she will live? My mum doesn't really talk to me about it that much although she says to ask my nan questions if I want to, but it's so difficult. I'm also worried about when she starts chemo, I don't want to get upset when she looses her hair. How did you cope? Thankyou, Emily x

• Hello Emily, Sorry to hear about your nans diagnosis. I can understand the shock and upset you and your family must be feeling right now. I don't think anyone can really give you a definitive answer as each case and person is different. Stage 4 doesn't necessarily mean terminal it might mean she's 'incurable'. So what does that mean? Well terminal is usually given to those with a year or less to live and incurable is for those who can maintain the cancer with chemo etc and bides them more time even years but it usually means they'll never be cancer free. Once cancer spreads it's harder to control and get rid of. I'm 27, and my dad was diagnosed April last year with stage 4 incurable bowel cancer which has spread to his lungs and liver. This means that because his cancers spread they can't cure it but hopefully try and control it with palliative chemotherapy. Yes my dad will eventually die from his cancer, but hopefully not for a long time yet. The doctors haven't given him a time frame as such because my dad made it clear he didn't want to know but they did tell him his life will be drastically shortened. But after all time frames are only estimations they aren't certainties. We generally go off by how he's feeling and by keeping him upbeat and positive. This has a massive benefit on him and I think it makes such a big difference. Coping? Well we all cope in different ways. I'm not sure how I've coped I've just taken each day as it comes and allow myself to express however I'm feeling at the time. I've gone through a whole mix of emotions over the past 18 months and every one of them is natural. There are no right or wrong ways in dealing with the situation. Just be there for your nan and also your mum. Spending time together is very important and creating memories. Time and family has never meant so much since my dad's diagnosis, it's a shame something like this makes us realise how important and precious life is. My dad lost his hair only a month ago it started falling out so he decided he'd take some control by shaving it all off. This is great place to express your feelings and concerns. X

• Hi, I was just wondering how your dad was doing as this is exactly the situation I am in right now with mum xxx

• Hello

my husband has been told he has incrueable bowel cancer which has spread to his liver and lungs. He doesn’t feel strong enough to hear  how long he has. I’m so sad I really not sure if I too want to know. Xxx