In limbo

Hi.

im not sure how any of this goes. I guess I will just start from the beginning.

My wife is 40 and was experiencing bleeding in between periods. So after some to and fro with the doctors she eventually got a appointment for a ultrasound which found a suspect fibroid. She was referred for a hysteroscopy and they found both a fibroid and a small polyp. The polyp was removed and sent for biopsy.

When the results came back they showed cancerous cells. So another hysteroscopy and more samples taken and also an mri and ct scan were undertaken. This is where it seems to get complicated. The ct and mri showed nothing to worry about. And the other biopsy's shows no signs of cancer in the uterus. My wife has a meeting with her gynaecologist and he said that they were happy to do close monitoring but we decided before hand that a hysterectomy would be best to eliminate any worry. I've had a vasectomy as we have two young boys and our family is complete.

however my wife is still worrying that there could still be cancer and it would be uterine sarcoma or Carcinosarcoma (both of which appear rare). I'm at a loss as I haven't been able to speak to anyone due to Covid restrictions and it's all been dumped on my wife and I'm hearing it second hand. 

I don't know what I'm hoping to get from posting this but seeing my wife's beautiful spirit crushed by worry and stress leaves me at a loss and any info that would help would be appreciated.

Ric

• Hi there ..

Hearing the words cancerous cells does send shock waves through our bodies .. and I'm no expert or even qualified ... but I've known others with that sort of outcome and they usually go for for regular tests and been o.k ... it just meant they keep an extra eye open for changes ... I think that's quite common for that ..

But you can call McMillan and ask them for more info ... although I know not being able to go with your wife due to this horrible covid is making things more stressful then normal ... she can also ask advise on wanting a hysterectomy... I had one many years ago ... as I had polyps too and was bleeding really heavy ..  but talking to McMillan or the nurses have a number on here too... have your questions written down so you remember to ask everything your worried about ... Chrissie....

• Hello!

I would just like to thank you for your message. It did help a lot and helped me through the waiting.

I'm glad to report that after my wife had her hysterectomy and they tested her uterus afterwards they didn't find any cancer or anything out of the ordinary. The doctor said that they have "overtreated" my wife but we don't mind as we would rather her be overtreated than under.

It feels like it will take some time to get back to normal life.

thank you again.