I'm new here

Hi, I started this post a couple of days ago but I couldn't put anything into the words I wanted to say so I waited until today when I had my first appointment with my consultant. After having a finger and a sigmoidoscopy poked up my bum, the consultant has booked me in for a colonoscopy  which will be on the 1 July. 

To say I am terrified is an understatement. Not of the colonoscopy but of the possible outcome. I cannot think of anything else. I have support from my husband but I fear he won't be as strong as I would be if the roles were reversed. One of my friends has today had a biopsy for lung cancer, I haven't told her of my problems because she has enough to worry about. 

My mum died from bowel cancer a few years ago, my symptoms are similar to hers. 

I'm so scared. x

• Hi Glandjo,

I'm so sorry to hear about your plight. None of us look forward to having a colonscopy, but it's no big deal really. The worry of what it might find is a different matter, particularly if your Mum died of bowel cancer,

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer and my Mum died as a result of secondaries from that. I naturally compare myself to her, even though we have had totally different treatment regimes and the same probably applies to you.

Waiting on results is one of the worst times of our cancer journey. We tend to look up the internet and compare ourselves to the worst case scenarios, even though this seldom turns out to be the case. Try not to Google too much and distract yourself from what lies ahead by keeping yourself busy.

Fortunately you don't have too long to wait until you get your colonoscopy, I can understand why you haven't mentioned any of this to your friend. She will have enough to deal with just now. However if your tests show up some nasties, you might find it helpful to support one another,

It is very helpful to have a supportive husband and it is well worth bringing him along to consultations if at all possible. My hubby has been my rock over the past 6 1/2 years and I wouldn't have thought that he would have been this strong at the outset. Maybe your husband will surprise you by stepping up to the plate too?

I hope that you get your results soon after your investigation.

Don't forget that there is always someone here if you want to talk.

Keep in touch,

regards,

Jolamine xx