I’m 19 and my dad is dying.

This is my first time posting here and I’m not entirely sure how it works...

Basically my dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer just after christmas 2017. He went through chemo and it didnt work. What is more it spread to his pancreas. He has had radio but we dont think it has worked. 

I am 19 and i dont know where to go or what to say. Im told i should ask him all the things i want to know about his life but i dont know how. All my friends and family ask how he is doing even if he is in the room and people seem to treat it as if he has already died. 

I dont know what to do or what to say anymore. I feel this overwhelming guilt like i should be asking questions about him while i can but i dont know how and feel like i am wasting the potentially little time left.

My only grandfather died with (though ultimately not from) cancer back in 2012 and i also lost my only grandmother in 2015. I feel like losing family members is becoming normal in a way. I begin to expect it. 

Can someone please suggest how to go about getting rid of this guilt and what to do next? 

• Hi Laura ...

Bless ya, you must be so confused ... and you know, there's no right or wrong way to deal with this .. be kind to yourself first, it's hard when we loose people we love .. and like you when I was younger and I lost mum and dad in my 30s and grandparents were gone and my untie .. it felt weird like I thought , oh bum I'm the next in line ... and there's no easy way through .. all I can say is now I'm on my cancer journey and don't know what tomorrow will bring ...

I just wake up and go yep, I'm here today, and I look at life differently now, l love the little things we take for granted ... I try to find something every day to make me smile ... I don't look too far ahead any more .. and just make the most of every new day ... 

So I'd say to you, live in the day .. don't think of being without your dad, just enjoy him today and every to day he has ... a good way to find out about his life is to get albums and photos we all have tucked away .. and there will be stories in those photo's ... but just try and enjoy his company ... is there something he would still like to do .. but don't worry what others say or do... you just take one step at a time .. and make as many memories as you can, weather it's just sitting chatting about any thing .. or going somewhere ... or those hugs when you leave him .. and I love yous to each other ...

Sending you a big hug ...  chrissie 

• Thank you so much chrissie, your reply has really helped me see things a different way.

• I'm here most days Laura... so if you ever just need a chat , I'm here ... 

You take care of your heart .. and go with the flow ... do what you feel, and don't worry bout anyone else ..  chrissie