I'm 18 and my dad has just been given a year to live

My name is Gabby and I'm 18 years old and my dad is 57. I've had losses in the family from cancer before but never anything as close to home as this. I'm practically estranged from my mother, my other family have their own lives and responsibilities so my dad is my absolute rock and always has been. Just 2 years ago his mother died from a similar cancer to his :(Mesothelioma) and so the pain from losing a grandparent is still quite raw, but being basically a kid myself I'm taking the news extremely badly that my father has 1 year to live if he were to accept treatment e.g chemotherapy, drug trials, but much less should he choose to not have treatment. It was triggered by past asbestos exposure if anyone's curious. But yeah, I guess I'm pretty new to these forum kinds of things but thought I'd give it a go, mainly because I just really need some help dealing with this as I can't eat, I can't sleep and I want my dad to remember me as his happy daughter so I need a way of coping.

Gabby x

• Welcome to Cancer Chat Gabby.

I'm glad you've decided to reach out as our forum is full of members who know what you are going through having been in similar positions with their parents and loved ones and hopefully some of them will be along soon to offer their support and share their advice with you.

Has your dad made a decision about whether he is going to have treatment or not? Whatever he decides I'm sure it brings him great comfort to know you are by his side to support him through this as we are here to support you. Our members have found sharing their thoughts and feelings on here to be a really good coping mechanism and I hope this works for you too.

In the meantime try not to look too far ahead if you can but take things a day at a time and enjoy the time you have with your dad making memories for the future.

Best wishes to you both at this difficult time, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator