i'm 15 and i've been told my mum has lung cancer

i honestly don't know what to do, i'm broken. ive never really had a father figure in my life and my mum has always been my bestest friend; our relationship is so close i honestly don't know what to do.. my sister is only 6 so i try to hide from her when i'm crying as she doesn't understand what's going on.. i also try to hide my emotions from my mum herself as she has enough on her plate already, i just don't know how to cope, i've never felt this low and deprived from happiness before words can't describe it, i have my GCSES soon and i don't know how i'm going to keep up with school work

• Hi. Really sorry to hear your news. Reach out to the help that's available to you  McMillan are amazing and they can help you find support services available to you that will help you thru this. ️

• Welcome to the forum anonymousssss although I'm really sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis and the reason you find yourself posting.

I know you said you're struggling to cope at the moment so I just wanted to make you aware of a website called riprap that is specifically aimed at helping teenagers in your situation. They also have a forum where you can speak to others of a similar age about what you are going through which I think will really help you at this time so do have a look at it when you get a chance. 

I hope this helps anonymousssss and remember that we are always here to listen and will do all we can to help you through this difficult time.

Best wishes to you and your family,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• I literally couldn't read and not reply. 

My heart broke reading your post, I'm 32 this week and I'm really struggling to cope with the diagnosis of my mum.

i have came to realise babe that we are strong enough and we will deal with this no matter how hard we find it and how much you think you aren't coping.. you get up of a morning which that alone shows strength courage and means you are coping more that you think. 

You are going through the hardest thing ever like many of us but you are still essentially still a child yourself and I don't know how you even begin to process this at your age. Just the fact you say you hide it from your 6 year old sibling that alone shows a level of maturity and that little bit of strength you aren't giving yourself credit for. 

I still struggle with wondering how I'm going to carry on my life wake up the morning after mum goes and carry on knowing she just isn't there no more, that scares the living crap out of me, but I know I will because I have to and one day will turn to two and then a week and then I'll realise I've coped and carried on like mum would of wanted. 

Give yourself time don't beat yourself up it's all normal we all do things different. 

My inbox is always open your not on your own in this ️

• Hi lovely X you must do what your mum wants ( be happy do well and try to keep positive). She is unwell and will go up and down. She will be very worried about you. Please try to stay positive and do well at school . You will need to talk so please reach out here or at school ok . Your mum will need to focus on her health you will need to ask for help when needed . Your mum loves you , at times she will be ok and other times she may be unwell or totally drained/exhausted:  you are not alone ok X     Mum will be having a really hard time right now as you are. I am single parent ( teacher) lost dad to cancer . Feel free to show mum this text ok X maybe I can help somehow xxx