I now have tonsil cancer. 4th cancer diagnosis in 12 years

hi everyone. I have just returned from hospital with the devastating news I have tonsil cancer. I had anal cancer 5 years ago and breast cancer 10 years ago and vulva cancer 11 years ago. to say I am totally devastated is an understatement. I have to see an oncologist next Thurs to discuss treatment but the surgeon said it will be 5 weeks of chemoradiation. this is what I had for the anal cancer and I don't think I have the strength to do it all again. I am hoping there might be another option. as every time I have have had treatment in the past it has left it's Mark both medically and phisically. I am totally gutted

• Hello Flexilegss

I am so very sorry to hear that you've just been given your 4th cancer diagnosis. Life can be so incredibly unfair at times and it's totally understandable that you've been devastated by this news. 

I wanted to reply and try and link you up with some of the members here on the forum who have successfully been through treatment for tonsil cancer. [@RadioactiveRaz][@Taff123]‍ and [@Anchor1707]‍ have also written personal blogs detailing their journies and I know these have been of great support and help to others dealing with this diagnosis. 

This thread here is a very active thread with lots of folks who have had a tonsil cancer diagnosis and have been through treatment. You might find it helpful to read through some of the posts and maybe try and connect with others there. 

I'd also encourage you to reach out to our team of nurses. I know they will be happy to talk things through with you and offer any advice and support they can ahead of your Oncology appointment on Thursday. 

Please know that whilst you may feel in a very lonely place right now, that there is lots of support for you here on the forum. 

Keep in touch Flexilegss and let us know how you're doing. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

• Hi oh dear so sorry to hear this  is your 4 th cancer. Are you h p v positive do you know ot does make a difference ti tumour response. 
    I have a blog it may help you understand the treatment for tonsil cancer. Im 3 yesds post treatment for tonsil cancer with several affected lymph nodes. Am now living my life to the max. 
    blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com it may help you. 
    any questions please ask 

Hazel sorry for delay in reply daughters 40 th birthday weekend 

• thankyou for replying. the Dr said I have tonsil cancer, some on the base of the tongue and in my lymph node it was hpv positive and 6 weeks of rt and 2 rounds of chemo. got to have 5 teeth extracted on Monday and poss mask fitting the week after. I still can't find my boxing gloves to start this fight but I am hoping I will find them in the next few days. I am in a bit of low mood but just want to start now

• Oh you poor thing....that is absolutely dreadful. You know how awful the battle can be but there are lots of us surviving and thriving. HPV positive Oropharyngeal cancer has an excellent response to treatment. Were the anal and vulval cancers HPV positive as well? 

Have a read of Hazel's blog its straight to the point, pulls no punches but her story is inspiring.

I have a blog you might like to cherry pick. There are some tips along the way

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com

• I'm really sorry to her of your history and total undertand why you are devastated

treatment and recovery can be a little challeging but the chances of a complete cure are really high.
    just really sorry you are having to go through further treatment but i have posted a link to my blog that I kept from the get go and hopefully will put some persepctive around it all

happy to help any way I can 

radiotherapythroat.home.blog

kind regards
    ian