I need advice...

I need advice, I hope somebody can relate (although I hate the fact that there are others who may have been in my position) my dad was diagnosed with terminal small cell lung cancer in January, we were told he would live for 6 months with chemo. The cancer is also in his liver, bones and in his brain. We were told two weeks ago there is nothing more that can be done and his prognosis was ‘short weeks’ for about three weeks now he has been so tired, he sleeps for the majority of the day, he barely eats and he is so terribly confused to the point he doesn’t even know what day it is. This is heartbreaking and I was wondering if anybody had been in this position before? How long may we be looking at?

• Hi Scarlett, I’m sorry to hear your sad news , I lost my mum nearly 2 years ago now to lung cancer, the doctors are generally very accurate on knowing when the time is near , we got told my mum has a few days left to live which was on the Monday and she passed on the Friday , the nurses told us that we would be able to tell by how little she was able to eat and that she was sleeping a lot more . Although she did sleep the majority of the day and eat less in the last weeks too , but the last days she didn’t eat at all. All I can say is spend your time with your dad and cherish him he will feel you are there even if it doesn’t seem that way , I’m sending you Love and strength to you at this awful time . X

• My nana had lung cancer that had spread to her bones. She was told on 13th Feb there was nothing they could do and it would be 3 months. The doctors got it spot on to be fair, as she passed away on 18th May. The week she passed she was not eating and barely drinking, the Thursday the doctors said she wouldn't be long, she was unconscious then, she passed away on the Saturday morning then. 

Take care x

• Hey, thanks for your response and I am so sorry you have suffered a similar loss. It is hard because I lost another family member around four years ago to lung cancer, she was in the state dad is but only in the final days so each day I am on the edge of my seat. Some day’s he is lucid and speaks and the next he is almost vegetated if that makes sense so it is a whirlwind. I know what signs to look out for, a change in breathing, colour of the skin, temperature of the feet and hands but I guess each person is different? I feel like the worst person ever, I never want to lose my dad but in a way I want him to let go he doesn’t deserve this suffering and he tells me he just wants to go. Thank you for your response I really appreciate it xx

• I have been there and nothing sucks more.  Unfortunately, there is no exact timeline.  For us, it was 5 weeks and he slept more, ate less and was in excrutiating pain.  The one morning he was gone.

• I know, dad has been in pretty much the same state for around four weeks now. I know it is a matter of time, I am petrified I won’t be there with him at the end. Sorry you have experienced this also x

• Hey lovely. I hope you’re as well as you can be.

i saw you posted this a few days ago. I hope things are as well as can be. I’m in the same situation right now. My Nan, the lady who raised me, had terminal cancer, were told she has a few days left. She’s unconscious now, hasn’t eaten or drunk in days and breathes extremely heavily. It’s petrifying because I’m terrified of losing her, but I know she wouldn’t want to be like this. I really sympathise with you. You’re so strong and I know what you’re going through. Take care xxxxxxxx

• Hey! I am so sorry to hear you are on the same journey as me. Thank you so much for your response. Dad is still plodding on, he is very yellow and his legs have become purple and mottled over the last couple of days. I’m guessing this is because the blood circulation to his legs has stopped? Sounds like your Nan is very precious to you, life really is so cruel. I am the same as you I don’t want to lose dad but I always want all of this suffering to stop. Sending you lots of love and best wishes xxxx

• Hello lovely. Just thought I’d let you know that my lovely Nana passed away during the night. I’m absolutely devastated right now, I’m not sure how I’m going to cope to be honest. I know I don’t know you but I completely sympathise with your situation, and I’m channeling all my love and prayers towards you and your family. I know words don’t help, trust me, but I’m sure you’re doing a grand job. Lots of love xxxxx

• Hello,

Hannah I am so sad to hear the news about your lovely Nana. It really is such a tough time and the days just seem to go by in a blur. Sending love and strength to you and your family at this terrible time <3

Scarlett I’m sorry you have to go through with your Dad what I went through with my Mum. The docs told us my Mum’s cancer could be managed for years, then the bile duct in her liver became obstructed by the tumors and she became very jaundice very quickly. She was confused, very yellow and frail and her legs and tummy swelled up. I couldn’t believe my gorgeous Mum that was usually so full of life had deteriorated so quickly. I live away from home and came straight back when I realised she had taken a turn for the worst - like all parents she was trying to protect me and wanted me to ‘stay put’. She was taken back into hospital when I got home and died 6 days later. It was honestly like a nightmare. I didn’t leave her side for 5 days and was able to tell her everything I wanted to because I know she could hear me. I take some comfort in the fact I was able to spend that time with her but to watch the light of your life slip away in front of you is overwhelming. I’ve never felt sadness like it. We knew the end was near as she wasnt drinking at all. It’s such a difficult time but me and my family have really come together and you and yours will too. Life isn’t the same without them but eventually we’ll smile again and be happy.  Lots of love KS x x x x

• I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I completely understand your heart must be aching, I am so sad for you. Please keep in touch on here for support, do not suffer your loss alone. Sending you lots of love and strength. Thank you for your kind words xxxx