I have 2 separate cancers

In August 2014, I was diagnosed with myeloma (bone marrow cancer). That’s currently treatable but not curable.  I hadn’t had any symptoms - I had been a blood donor, but an earlier donation was rejected because I was anaemic.  I went for a blood test to be cleared to resume donating but the results were really pear-shaped, that’s when I got the myeloma diagnosis.

I’ve been having treatment & apart from the treatment & watching out for infections, I’ve been able to keep up with my normal life. Most people had no idea about my condition until very recently.

Then, in May this year I had an odd patch of skin on my right breast. The patch looked like eczema, but it didn’t respond to creams etc. After a referral, at the end of June, I was diagnosed with primary breast cancer which has also spread to my lymph nodes. The breast cancer isn't related to the myeloma - I'm just really lucky, I'm allowed 2 cancers, not just the 1!

I’m at the start of 18 weeks of chemo & then I’ll have a bilateral mastectomy & lymph nodes removal. That's Christmas sorted this year. After the treatment for breast cancer, I'll go back to "just" having myeloma! Until that gets worse & I'll need a stem cell transplant.

Before I started chemo I was told my hair would fall out – so I had it shaved off. My hair – my choice! I found a wig – “April” (which is quite bizarre because that’s my birth month), the label says the colour is mink. Not good if you’re anti-fur!

I am trying to keep my life as normal as possible. Apart from if normal means housework, because honestly, I should be able to find something better/ more fun to do!

I run every day – because I love running. I usually run about 10k each day & I can still run the sox off a lot of my buddies who are “healthy”.  I swam 5k for the Marie Curie Swimathon in April & I ran a ½ marathon just before the breast cancer diagnosis.

My friends who now know about my situation tell me I’m “brave”.  I think that’s a load of rubbish – brave is being a passenger on a train who intervenes when the gunman starts shooting.

What I’m doing is being completely stubborn.  It’s quite simple really - it’s my life & I’ll make the decisions thanks very much!

• Hi, Claire, so pleased you are carrying on as normal, best way to be.  And even when you really feel like a break it's good to push yourself a bit. In September 2014 I had a hysterectomy for womb cancer.  I now have incurable peritoneal cancer, enlarged lymph nodes and cancer of the vaginal cuff.  None of which can be operated on.  I am 71 and live alone, so I have to force myself to do the housework, gardening, shopping etc.  I also have to walk a 90lb boxer dog a few times a day and thats not easy!

I do hope you get through the chemo without many bumps.  The wig sounds delightful!  :-))

• Thank you for your response Pauline - wow, a 90lb dog – who takes who for a walk? :)

You are definitely superwoman, but maybe rather than force yourself to do the housework; you could occasionally force yourself to give yourself a treat. I think you’ve earned it.

As for the wig, it’s not delightful, it’s a monstrosity :):). I’ve worn it out once but I think people would have stared less if I’d just gone out bald. I may work up the courage to do just that before my chemo is through. Until then I’ll just stick to my cap I think. 

• I am no superwoman I can assure you.  Everything gets done once a week, not seven times!  And as for treats, well, I think I do pretty well!  :-)

When I go to my London hospital for appointments I see an incredible amount of women with scarves bands or hats and you just know that they are fighting for their lives.  I just want to hug them.

I hope all goes well with your chemo, Claire, please let us jnow how you are.

• Hello Pauline4

I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes and I'm not sure if I'm "allowed" or can do this but I'm "butting in" on your conversation with ClaireJ.  I am so sorry to hear of your diagnoses.  I, too, live alone and it's very, very difficult not be able to talk to someone about your worries when you want to.  I sure your lovely boxer dog/mini horse has learned to become a very good listener.  If only he/she could talk as well.

Which hospital in London are you under Pauline?  I'm under Bart's.

Like you, things that used to get done on a daily basis now wait a week and if my last chemo session is anything to go by, from tomorrow I'm going to feel - and this is a good ol' " medical term" worth remembering that I was told by a nursing sister - "really ***" for the next few days.  So today, I'm doing what I can, eating almost everything in sight because I know that I won't be up to cooking (or feel like eating a lot) for the next few days.  Do you get like that?  If so, how do you cope with your dog taking you for a walk (at that size it's definitely not a case of you taking him/her for a walk)?

Do look after yourself Pauline.

Best wishes.

BB xx

• Hi, I am at University College Hospital near Warren Street, 1 1/2 -2 hour journey from Essex!  I have chosen not to have radio and chemotherapy, and now take a hormone therapy.  I think this is what they give the 'naughty people' sometimes when they don't conform to the proper treatment.   Getting older, living alone I knew I couldnt cope.with chemo or radiotherapy and have hoped the immune system that I have built up over 70 years, and has served me well, will give me a bit more time. It'snearly a year now, but my cancer is incurable and the doctors have no idea how this will all pan out.

You are right about not having anyone to talk to when you need or want to.  So hard.  I really hope your chemo session has gone well today and that you manage to eat something.  Food is my prop when I feel '***'!  :-)) Let me know how you are! x

• Hello Pauline4

So even now you're a non-conformist and are having hormone therapy.  How does that work and what, if any, are the other side effects?  I had an allergic reaction to the carboplatin yesterday but that was reduced to a slower infusion which seemed to do the trick.  So I'm trying to make the most of today as I expect "really ***" days for the next few.  May be not though; be very nice if that is the case.

By the way, I live in east London too, near Canary Wharf.  In fact, I used to work there when is was just docks and I worked in a little wooden "shack" which imported bananas.  It's change somewhat now, hasn't it?

Do look after yourself..

Love BB xx 

• Hello again, so sorry you had another '***' but now they know what you need you will probably be okay next time. You MUST be positive and believe it will be fine.  :-)

I love Canary Wharf now, must be awesome to work there now.  I used to live in Ilford but moved up the M11 near Sawbridgeworth.  I thought when I refused the radio and chemo they would just leave me to my own devices and that would be it.  The hormone therapy I take, Letrozole, is usually used for breast cancer but they do give it for endometrial cancers too.  My main tumour has reduced by 3/4 and my enlarged lymph nodes have gone but I still have other tumours. 

Let us know how you are in the next few days BB. x

• I'm 52. You sound amazing. I think you're just being you. You are a strong, positive person. I have endometrial cancer. I had surgery and was due to start adjuvant therapy. Chemo and radiotherapy but now I've been diagnosed with grade 2 breast cancer. I decided to see my GP because my side felt bruised and sore. There was no lump or anything untoward but I was referred because I have family history. So to everyone's amazement there is cancer present!

so now my chemo is on hold and the teams have to re think. I'm so scared my chemo will be cancelled for my womb because my breast is important now.

Before the breast diagnosis I was so happy, tough just getting on with everything. I wasn't trying to be positive I'm just a strong person. But this 2nd diagnosis has scared me now because I didn't even have a lump. What else do I have? I felt good reading your post. I'm going to re group my thoughts now and try to get back to being strong. You've helped me.

best of luck xx

Ruby