Husband with brain tumour Stage 4 Glioblastoma multiform

Hello. My partner was diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforma stage 4 on New years eve. He is 56, and the prognosis isn't good. He has had chemo and radiotherapy and some immunotherapy. He has felt so ill, and has lost alot of weight. He has now finished treatment and is starting to feel better, but seems very different - sometimes agitated, sometimes aggressive, very not himself. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

• Hi Florence98,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. My husband was diagnosed with GBM4 just over a year ago and tolerated his treatments  well considering.  He had a few off days when he felt a bit sicky but hes worked throughout and tried to be 'normal'. I sometimes think to myself that hes a bit snappy with me, Id usually snap back and say something like 'ok!' or 'theres no need to snap' but now I just let it go as Im not sure if its a symptom of the tumour.  I have also noiticed his memory isnt as sharp but again, Im not sure if its me being paranoid.

• Hi, I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. Mine too has GBM stage 4 and he is 47.  He's had it removed as much as possible, chemo and radiotherapy.  And yes, my husband too is different so I understand.  He gets agitated, doesn't like loud noises.  And very angry too when it's not necessary.  His memory isn't as good, and gets confused about sequence of events.  He has ordered stuff on EBay that he has no memory of ..... An exercise bike just turned up.  He "won" a mobility scooter that thankfully was cash on collection and miles away and they were very understanding when he explained his mistake.  He can't remember bidding for that either.  His mobility is very poor, uses sticks and I have to follow him around the house as he has fallen many times, and had a couple of fits.  When we go out he uses the mobility scooter we correctly bought. Constantly dizzy, unable to do much at all really.  But yes you are right, like your husband, he is not the same man and that is heartbreaking for myself and our 10 yr old son.  He had a 6.7cm tumour removed from his frontal lobe, so I just have to keep remembering that.  But it upsets me and worries me and frustrates me.  He wants to do things he can't possibly do, dangerous things in my opinion as all he wants to do is help me and he can't. Heartbreaking.

Cancer is so unfair, but brain cancer changes them so significantly to add to the pain. 

Hang in there, Mandy xx

• Hi Mandy Hows your husband now . Hazel