How were you told you have cancer?

Hello

just wondering how you found out you had cancer!

phone call?

consultation?

letter?

please let me know :)

• Phone all though my surgeon who did my first Colascopy told me he thought it was cancer

• First time (prostate cancer) by the consultant in person.  I was then handed over to a Macmillan nurse. Both consultant and nurse were very reassuring. 

Second time (bladder cancer), it showed up on the cystoscope screen, so the doctor and I knew it at the same time.  The doctor immediately reassured me that this was very small and highly curable.  The same doctor did my followup cystoscopy, where I'm pleased to say that nothing nasty was found. 

I can't fault the way I was told in either case - and I've been lucky that both times it's been caught nice and early. 

• Hi imoinnaomi i was told right after my biopsy by the same nurse who did it, was still sat on the table, i was then shown a private room to wait for consultant who made small talk for a while before getting to main subject,, i told her i already know nurse told me, she went to nurse and played hell nurse wasn't supposed to tell me.. Oh prostate Cancer just so you know...... Billy 

• Hey I was told after having a few hrs of biopsies being done, by a surgeon there and then. 

• I was told I had cervical cancer by a nurse when I went for my colonoscopy appointment after an abnormal smear - she told me before she had even looked at me and then confirmed it a week later in a phone call. I then had a radical hysterectomy before Christmas and told afterwards that it all went well. 3 weeks later I went to my follow up appointment to get the all clear and was told that  they had found a second primary cancer in my Fallopian tube and that I will need chemotherapy soon. 

• I had a hysterectomy for the same reason but they took my tubes away at the same time I was lucky that I didn't need treatment good luck with the chemo xxx

• I wish I had been told earlier and preferably by phone.  It was obvious I had a tumour (cervical), but I was allowed to go on holiday for three weeks (last Sept), then the hysteroscopy was delayed by a week, so from my initial appointment with GP, it wasn't until early November that I was told the truth.  They obviously wanted to tell me, but just gave me grave looks which I misinterpreted, but maybe they're not allowed to mention the word "cancer" until it's confirmed.  I then kept receiving all these strange letters saying  "we strongly recommend, if you have a partner, that they accompany you to this appointment"... that sent alarm bells.  But it wasn't until I was sitting in the waiting room surrounded by MacMillan cancer booklets that it finally clicked!  I was then told I had cervical cancer by a consultant and her entourage, but she gave no details... which sent me into a frenzy of worry.  I was then passed to the MacMillan nurse in a state of shock.  It was then another three weeks after MRI/CT/PET that I finally had the diagnoses.  Once I had the facts I was fine, but I lost a stone in weight and was so traumatised that only the people on this forum can appreciate.  And yet it seems like other doctors (from reading this thread) are quite capable of communicating like normal people.  

• Routine dental check,  spotted a very small mark under my tongue. Referred to hospital, biopsy,scans and then surgery.   All in the space of about 7 weeks. 

Don't put off routine dental care!!       Cheers. Col. 

• i went to my gp because my voice was becoming very weak cut a long story short he told me to gargle with ,salt water afterv ac ninety second consultatoin thus being luled into a false sence o   of it  cant be anything serious four weeks later andm feeling very concerned i saw a differant mgp who fast tracked me to ent clinic and was meradiatly diagnosed with cancem of the asophagus the salt water did not work then a little hick up with my electronic records but we gotthere in the end