How to cope

Hi.  My husband died on 1st March 2017 after 48 years of marriage.   He was given 6 months in February 2016 with oesophageal cancer.  I did everything that he requested including to die at home and his last words to me was "love you".   It seems for me living without him gets harder day by day.  The house is so quiet and the house doesn't get disturbed with only me here. My family are supportive but don't know what to say to me when I get so upset. I feel so alone without him.  Been to GP today when has given me anti depressants but don't know whether to take them or not.

• Hiya 

i am so very sorry for you loss and totally understand how you feeling. I lost my dad 4 weeks ago and am struggling to cope everyday and my step mum  is finding it hard to function without him after 38 years together. We are both going to try bereavement counselling and she too has been given anti depressants which she says are helping although I don't like  her taking them. What does your family say about taking them. All I know is everyone is saying time is a healer and I pray to god it is. 

God bless. Sorry I can't be of any more help. 

Mary xx

• Thanks.  We have a son and daughter, grandchildren and great grandchildren who are supporting me but they have to get on with their lives with work, school sunsets.  They hate seeing me like this and don't know what to say to me as nobody can help.  Every day without Len  is a struggle for me.  The GP that looked after Len was brilliant and my family put total trust in her so I think if she thinks the med will help me I will give it a go. Condolences to you and your step mum.  My name is Mary too x

• School runs not sunsets... predictive text ,!!

• Bless you. My step mum could probably relate to your better as she has lost her partner to and your right I have two boys and have to try and carry on as normal where she is totally lost without him. Thankfully I am with her almost everyday but know I don't replace my dad. Yes if you know your doctor well she will know what's best for you and if it takes the rage off it's worth it. Losing dad is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with and have lost my rock and best friend it helps coming on this site to see we're not in this alone

mary ( my mum called mary too ) xxx

• I lost my.mum to cancer just over 2 years ago I had nursed her for her last 10 months and was devastated her death was not  peaceful one and I suffered grieve depression and post traumatic stress the doctor gave me anti depressants and I am pleased.I took them they helped me enormously don't be afraid to use them they do help

• Yes Me and my step mum to nursed my dad for last nine months with pancreatic cancer and it was very distressing seeing such a strong man become so weak. It truly is so hard and bless you losing your mum and then your husband it's all so hard. But I have no doubt we will see them again and have started to attend church which is really helping. 

Mary x

• I lost my wife to secondary breast cancer 8 years ago, I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm interested by you last words comment, please ignore me if this up sets you