HOW LONG??

I lost my Husband Ian two years ago and yet I find that there is not a week goes by that I still don't have a down day or two where I cry and miss him dreadfully.  It can be triggered by the simpliest of things, for the example the other day an invitation to view the latest model of car from the garage where we bought our last car arrived addressed to Ian, that was me upset for the whole day.  A few days days ago I lost a stone from my engagement ring which had to be sent off to have the diamond replaced and I have sobbed and cried every day as I had never had the ring off my finger since we got engaged.  I know everyone is different but how long does this grief and missing go on for, some days it still feels so very raw and despite having many good friends life still feels so very empty, I can be sitting in a room full of people and still feel very lonely.  I am the only one amongst my friends to have lost their partner and when we have a get together and this is with people I have know since school which wasnt yesterday, I still feel like the odd one out, the odd number sitting around the table if we are out for a meal or drink.  I find it hard coming back into the house and shutting that door alone, knowing my friends are all heading home with their partners.  I appreciate I am extremely lucky to have such wonderful close friends and they do look out for me so well and keep me going but I would have thought after two years I wouldn't have felt like this still, is it just me or do other people feel like this after losing their partner for a period of time

• Hello lockharta4,

I very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. There is no set end date for grief, as it's very much a process unique to each person, so you shouldn't feel like having these thoughts after two years is wrong. These memories that flash in your mind are so important in your life, so it's natural to feel emotional sometimes. It's lovely to hear that you have such close friendships. Although you say they help you out a lot, you should always tell them what's on your mind. Talking is so important and it will help you and your friends understand your feelings better. If you think you might need extra help, don't hesitate to contact organisations like Cruse. They may be able to offer support in your local area.

All the best to you,

Moderator Anastasia

• Hello, the answer is yes others still feel bereft after two years and I still keep in touch with those that I have made friends with on this site who have lost husband's so I know you're not alone in this.  My husband has incurable cancer and some nights I sit and imagine how it will be when he succumbs, but I'll never truly know will I?  I don't have the answer and neither do others, it seems they take it a day at a time, good days, bad days.  I think will I sell up and move near family, but like you I have good friends and most of them have problems, health, financial, bereavement, dementia but we are all there for each other as it sounds like yours are.  Like you my wedding ring only came off when giving birth, much to my disgust, apparently for health reasons, second time I requested taping over it, some of us cherish this symbol of until death do us part so yes it means a great deal.  Join my Stay Strong link as a friend if you wish, see how others are coping or message privately.  I wish you well and that you will find a way forward without your beloved husband.  Carol x