How can I help?

I'm finding the advice of how to help someone with cancer very confusing and makes me more anxious. I keep finding things on line that tell me what I have said is wrong and some sites are conflicting. My ex boyfriend decided he needed to face this without me so I'm not sure whether my persistence is making things worse or better. We've been through an emotional roller coaster as shortly after breaking up he was diagnosed with cancer. I don't think it's important whether we would or wouldn't have got back together but he keeps saying he doesn't want to get my hopes up. I just want to be there for him but also want to respect his space. Since he started chemo we only communicate by text which makes it even harder to know where his head is at. It's hard to know how to respond as I can't give him a hug via text. 

• Hi Ursulah, I'm sorry to hear about the emotional rollercoaster that you and your ex-boyfriend have been on recently with the break-up and his cancer diagnosis. 

The fact that you are keeping in touch with him by text shows that you are there to support him, even if you can't physically do so. I saw some good information on the Macmillan website: Talking about cancer, which might help with talking to him, and understanding your own feelings. 

I do hope it's of some help, and that some other members of this forum will be along soon to share their experiences. Many people here are supporting loved ones in all kinds of circumstances, and will be able to empathise with what you're going through.

Wishing you all the best,

Helen

Cancer Chat Moderator