Hospital

My mother was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer 2 years ago. She lives alone and she has deteriorated badly over the last 4/5 weeks from the point of leading pretty much a normal life to being confined to her living room chair not eating, becoming really confused and the last 2/3 days she has not been able to get around her flat and today basically having to carry her to the toilet. I obviously contacted her GP a couple of days ago who did bloods ect and another GP contacted me to say her bloods were showing she was anaemic so booked her in for a blood transfusion which was supposed to be done today. Due to a *** up no ambulance arrived so I ended up taking her to an acute assessment unit. Once in the unit they took her to be accessed however then I was asked to leave for obvious reasons due to Covid. My mother is petrified of hospitals and I don't know why but I just get the feeling this is the last time I will see her. What is getting to me is the thought I never said goodbye and she looked petrified as she was wheeled away. I did learn from her GP that she had cancer in her liver and bones however due to Covid she was getting appointments over the phone and her last one she said everything was okay so I'm not even sure she even knows. It's come at a really bad time as we have only just buried my mother-in-law and for obvious reasons I have kept my own mothers deterioration away from my children as although they are teenagers they are still grieving the loss of 1 grandma. Today is also my birthday and we are having a bit of a party obviously just our household and one of my daughters who is travelling from university. How I'm going to keep it together I don't know. I knew this would be a difficult journey but can't believe the speed in how she has deteriorated so much. Could this really be just down to being low in iron and may a blood transfusion perk her up. She obviously not safe on her own at the minute however I still have this feeling of guilt for leaving her there looking so scared.

• Hello mickyb5126, 

Poor you I am so sorry to hear all this happened to your mum recently and that it had to be around the time of your birthday! I hope you still managed to spend quality time with your family and that you had a good birthday. You did absolutely everything you could for your mum from contacting the GP who rang these important tests to taking her yourself to the acute assessment unit so she is very lucky to have you and she is in the best possible place right now. Don't worry I am sure she is being looked after well and hopefully you will be able to see her again soon. 

I am very sorry also to hear about your mum in law - this is all very sad and it can feel sometimes like everything is happening at the same time but keep strong I am keeping everything crossed for you for brighter days. 

You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about though - as you said it wouldn't have been safe for her to be on her own at the minute and despite her fear of hospitals, she is in very good hands and I hope you can see her again very soon. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator