High CA 125 levels

I recently went to the doctor with generally feeling unwell, tired, IBS flare up, pain in pelvic area and bloating (or at least i think its bloating or weight gain)

The doctor carried out a CA 125 blood test and my levels are 370.  I have an appointment next week with the hospital for an ultrasound.

I am very worried about this level of CA 125 - can it still be other conditions other than ovarian cancer at this level?

I am 48years old and have started menopause as my FSH levels have risen.

I had an endometrial ablation about 4 years so have no period as an indicator

• Hello Sansa and thanks for posting,

I am sorry to learn that you haven't been well lately and have had an abnormal CA125 test. I can appreciate that this is a worry, but CA125 levels can be raised in other conditions besides ovarian cancer, and even at this level there could easily be other explanation for whatever is going on.

The ultrasound is the next step and there is no way around waiting to find out what it shows. Waiting is seldom easy and it can be difficult to hold your nerve. In the meantime staying busy and trying to distract yourself can help. A lot of people in this sort of situation are tempted go online to look for answers but doing so can make you more worried and it keeps everything in the front of your mind. 

I hope they can tell you more next week. 

Do give us a call if you want to talk anything over. Our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9-5. Monday to Friday.

Best wishes, 

Julia

• After my Ca 125 blood test result of 370 last week I had my ultrasound today and I have solid cyst on my left ovary which is pressing on my uterus so they can’t see for sure what it’s attached to. I have been referred for a CT and I got some other blood tests done today for other tumour markers.

So still worried and more waiting. Although Dr said if it was cancerous it would be early stages and I should be able to get everything removed and recover fully.

I just wish I knew for sure what I was dealing with. 

• Can I ask what happened?

I've just had ca125 of 250 and I'm worried sick.

Hope you're well xx

• Hi, I had an operation last Oct to remove 2 cysts, both Fallopian tubes and one ovary as well as any endometriosis I had. Luckily there was no cancer and I am 100% recovered and feeling better than ever before. I understand how worried you are but my doctor told me that a Ca125 blood test could be high for a number of reasons, endometriosis or one even being where you are in your menstrual cycle. But I know it's difficult until you know for sure. I just hope my story gives you some comfort and I hope all works out for you.

• Hi there

Just wondering how you got on as I'm in a similar situation. I hope you're doing very well. Would really appreciate a response if you have the time. Thanks so much. 

kim 

• Hi Kim I had a transvaginal scan and was given the all clear. I also had the blood test repeated 6 weeks later and the ca125 had gone down from 250 to 13.

I had a colonoscopy and MRI of my small bowel and they said my bowel disease plus my period has increased the ca125.

I have a small cyst on one ovary they are checking again in 6 mo the but that's it. 

I hope this gives you some reassurance and positivity.

Hope you get good news lovely xx

• Hi Kelly!
    what bowel disease did you have because I think I'm in a similar situation?I did a transvaginal scan and i was clear. Would really appreciate a response if you have the time. Thank you

• Hi, I've got extensive diverticular disease and have been told since that a false up can really affect CA125 levels. Really hope you'll be ok lovely. I'm sure you will x

• Hi Sansa 

first of all thankyou so much for not just teling your story but finishing it x i was given results similar to yours today for ca125 im worried sick im 39 single mum with 10 year old daughter and suffer with anxiety. I went to doctors with bloating and bit of back ach muscle pain in pelvis to be reffered for ultra sound which picked up cyst. I Was then referred for mri scan which after a long wait was told it was a cyst with no cancer looking features and all my other organs scanned looked in order with no signs of cancer. I was them referred to 18 week pathway but due to my anxiety i called every day and got a cancellation at this appointment i  had the ca125 bloods done which im sure should have been done first! Thats when the result came now i am waiting on the MDt meeting to  see what my consultants wants to do next they said its dofficult cz bloods are raised but scan is not showing anything suspicious she said they may do Ct scan next and check then a plan will be put in place. Did this happen for you and was you certain you had cancer from the high result because on this forum people sayin high ca125 is 45 to 85 mine is in the hundreds like yours im super scared and worried cant focus all im doing is worrying about my beautiful litte girl xx i would really appreciate Any advice as the whole waiting and seeing consultants and blood tests makes you fee like you definitely have cancer xxxxx  also i have no other symptoms i eat well not lost weight, dont feel tired only from worry and my periods are consistent. My bowe habits are normal for me also. Thanks