Hi there.

29 years old from London, I have mental health problems and Aspergers.

My nan, who raised me, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in November 2016 and started long term chemo yesterday (20/02/18).

She has stage four small cell lung cancer (ALK) and there is no hope of a cure.

I'm terrified. We went to the oncology ward to get the tablets, and I know the nurse has to tell us what might go wrong, what might happen, but it was just so much to be told in one fell swoop.

So far, her side effects are minimal. She's tired and has a metallic taste and dry mouth. I think it's going to be a case of wait and see. We're going back in two weeks to talk to the consultant and see how nan's coping and getting on, then two weeks after that we go back to the ward. Then it will be every month.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I feel like my brain is about to dribble out of my nose.

• Hello claire victoria and welcome to this forum.  I am sorry that you have had this shock so suddenly and that you are having trouble coping with the information.  Your post makes perfect sense by the way!  I am so pleased you came here.

I of course don't know the nature of your mental health issues but very much hope you have support in this awful time.  Your gran who raised you has I guess been your main source of love and stability.  There are no kind words anyone can say to take the shock away.  But I would say take it day by day as the larger picture is just too much to cope with at once.   You must have a close relationship so talk to your gran as you have always done and do what you can to help her.  Lots of us here have lost loved ones to cancer and know how difficult it is for anyone so I hope you will feel free to come back and post whenever you just want to have someone listen to your felings.   You can ring the nurses here Monday to Friday 9am-5pm if you want to talk about an aspect of your gran's illness or care; their Freefone number is 0808 808 4040.  Annie