Hi everyone: dad diagnosed 2 weeks ago

Sorry to read all of your msgs it's so sad hope you are all managing ok as can be!

my dad was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with cc, he's 86 so can't have any treatment. He spent last 2 weeks in Hospital after having a stent put in his duct to open it up again which gave him pancreatitis. Does anyone know how long this stent will last? And furthermore, how long this horrible cancer will take to spread?? Still feeling in the dark about it all really as I haven't spoken with palliative care team as yet...

thanks for reading

• Hello SophieT and a warm welcome to Cancer Chat! 

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. Just to double check, by CC did you mean he was diagnosed with colon cancer?  

Our nurses may be able to tell you more about this stent so don't hesitate to give them a call on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. It may help to talk things through with them. 

It's very difficult to tell how long it will take for this cancer to spread or indeed whether it will spread at all as this will vary from one person to another but I hope you will hear from others here who have been in a similar place before and that they will share their story with you. You can find out more about bowel cancer on this page. Once you have managed to speak to the palliative care team, you will get a clearer picture of what to expect and hopefully you will get all the details of your dad's diagnosis. I hope you find out more soon and keep us updated if you get a moment.

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Lucy,

thanks for your message ️ 
    Sorry, I originally thought I had replied on another thread I had been following! No, I mean cholangalo carasoma (bile duct ). I have read it's quite rare this cancer but very exgressive, is this correct?

dad has his first meeting with palliative care nurses next week so that's good I have a lot of unanswered questions flying around my head right now as I'm sure my dad has too.

Will updated when I know more, thanks again for taking the time to write back to me x

• Hello again Sophie, 

Thanks for getting back to me and specifying your dad's cancer type. Cholangiocarcinoma is indeed a rare cancer and there is information about it on our website on this page which I hope will be useful to you. 

I thought I would also mention a couple of recent threads from members who have a loved one who has recently been diagnosed with bile duct cancer. For example, [@kiki25]on this thread mentioned that her dad was also recently diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma and I mentioned your thread too as you two may have a lot to say to one another! 

I can imagine you have a lot of questions racing through your head at the moment and it's good you are meeting the palliative care nurses next week to talk about all this and to ask them all those important questions. 

I hope you get a bit more clarity soon on this! 

Best wishes, 

Lucie

• Sophie

My father had CC and it was very quick from diagnosis to him leaving us in February this year. I am completely heartbroken. I don't know what I would do differently. I don't think I would, because there was nothing I could do. It happened so quickly. I thought he was well, but I could not see him much due to the pandemic. I don't know about your Dad's future. All I can tell you is that my beloved father deteriorated so quickly, it was shocking. Tell him how much you love him and what he means to you. And it was true in our case, that every second counted. I want to be positive for you because I wanted to hear my Dad would be ok.... that was not the case for us. 

• Thank you for your reply sapphire21. I'm so sorry to read this how awful it must have been for you and still continues to be. Do you mind me asking how many months we're talking here? I can see the change in my dad already and I'm dreading what's to come. It must have been extremely difficult not to have been able to visit your dad. X