Hi everyone

My name is Steve and have recently been Diagnosed with Lung Cancer it is also in my Lymph nodes. I also have a Metsatic tumor in my Brain which has been treated with Gamma knife surgery (waiting on outcome)

Its probably been asked many times before but i have to ask whether it might be worth me trying to get hold of Cannabis oil as i have nothing to lose by trying it as im told i have a life expectancy of about 12 months.

• Welcome to the forum Steve although I'm very sorry to read of your diagnosis.

As you've mentioned in your post, this has been asked about many times before and I have to let you know that cannabis oil is illegal in the UK because it contains high levels of the mind-altering substance THC.

Although there’s emerging evidence that molecules found in cannabis may one day be used to help people with cancer, using any black market or home-made preparations of cannabis oil can be very dangerous. As it’s unregulated these products may be contaminated with harmful substances and can vary in strength. Taking this could potentially interfere with other cancer treatments given to you by your medical team, and can carry other side effects and risks as well.

We have some very interesting information about it on our science blog just here but do feel free to give our cancer nurses a call if you'd like to find out more. Their number is 0808 800 4040 and their lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thanks for your reply Steph. Am i wrong in thinking that medicinal Cannabis products was now legal in the UK? If nothing else it might help with the HPOA that I am also suffering from due to the cancer for which I have been prescribed Neproxin and Tramadol. 

• Hello Stever,

Cannabis is still classified as a class B drug in the UK, meaning that it is illegal to possess or supply it. I'm afraid that we can’t comment on the legal status of cannabis, or its medical use in any other diseases. It is not a recognised treatment or a treatment that can be prescribed for Hypertropic Pulmonary Osteoarthropathy (HPOA). For more information about cannabis, what is known about it so far and the research into it look at Steph's link in her post above.

The Neproxin and Tramadol you have been prescribed are from a group of drugs called analgesics, they reduce pain.  However, if you have been taking them for a while and they are not helping do get back to your doctor or nurse to let them know as there may be alternatives that can help.

You would be welcome to get back to us, if you need to. Our freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Caroline.