Her2 positive grade 3 breast cancer

Hi, I have recently had a 92mm her2 positive, oestrogen and progesterone receptive tumor removed, however, the cancer had gone to the sentinel lymph nodes. Two had been removed with the mastectomy and they both tested positive for cancer. The NHS want me to have chemo, hersepsin and radiotherapy. I'm so scared by all this and don't want to be pumped with drugs that could in fact cause more harm than good. I've changed my diet and gone vegan, and I'm taking allsorts of supplements to help build up my immune system. My CT scan was clear but they said i could possibly have microscopic cancer cells in my blood, so they recommend treatment ASAP. Isn't there other tests that can be done to see if there are microscopic levels in my body? It seems harsh to damage my body with drugs if it's not absolutely necessary or required? Thanks for your time x

• Hi there,

I think it's great you're nourishing your body with vegan food, I could take a leaf out of your book! I really don't think diet alone will get you better, though. If chemotherapy is recommended, I think you should have it because you need it to clear your body of cancer. Have a chat with your doctors but be open minded. I'm sure that your healthy lifestyle combined with all modern medicine can offer will give you the highest chance of remaining well. Look at it as a two pronged approach. 

I'm not medically qualified but feel there's a place for both in your treatment. 

Best wishes 

Jane xx

• Hello and thanks for your post,

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

It is never easy to hear about the long treatment that the doctors feel you should have and I can understand you wanting to look at all the different options that might be out there.

Treatment for breast cancer is dealt  very individually and when there is any doubt as to whether someone should have treatment then there is the option in some women for the breast tissue to be sent to be tested.

The test is called Prosigna that predicts how likely breast cancer is to spread to some where else in the body (secondary breast cancer) within 10 years of diagnosis, in people who will be taking hormone treatment for at least 5 years. Have a look at the test here

It sounds like this test would be unsuitable for you as have tested positive for Her 2 cancer which is why they have offered you Herceptin which you can read about here

We have information about the different tests that are done to test  breast tissue before the doctors make a decision about what treatment they will offer you. Have a look at some of the tests that are done here

I can understand how hard it must be to have been given this news but the doctors are basing their decision on other women who have had treatment in the past and also the results of many clinical trials. It is much easier to treat a breast cancer the first time round and it sounds like  doctors feel that it is in your best interests to have all the different types of treatment to get rid of your cancer. It is impossible to see microscopic cancer cells in the body and there isn't a test at this time to say if they are there.

We do have some information on how decisions are reached which you can see here

It is good to hear that you are eating healthily and it is important to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. There is no evidence that an alternative diet can cure cancer. We have more about this on our website here

Doctors do have national guidelines which they use in working out the best possible  treatment plans to offer patients.

At the end of the day it is your decision about what you decide to do but do spend talking it through with your doctors and your breast care nurse.

I do hope that some of these links may be helpful.

If you feel that you would like to chat through any of this with one of the nurses on the helpline then do give us a ring so we can talk it through.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the very best,

Catherine