Help!

I’m 16 years old and for the past four/five weeks my lymph nodes on my neck/jaw have been swollen and won’t go away. They have grown a small bit since it started, at first my right lymph node was swollen but now my left one is too. 

im not particularly close to my mum and dad and I can’t tell them anything as they blow everything out of proportion or they laugh in my face and say im faking it. 

I cant go to the doctors to get checked by myself as I’m 16, not a medical card holder(I have to pay like 50/60 Euros to get a blood test) and I need my mum or dad to pay for it as I can’t afford it 

I really don’t know what to do and I’m scared as someone close to my family died from cancer earlier this year 

• Hi Coco1234

You poor thing. Do you have a sore throat or any signs of illness or infection anywhere? Even just feeling generally unwell? Usually lymph nodes swelling are just a sign that your body is fighting something off. At your age sore throats, are common. It could even be your teeth. I know it's easy for me to say, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing for you to worry about. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and see a doctor especially if you're feeling unwell because you may need antibiotics. Especially if it gets worse or lasts a long time.is there anyone you can talk to? 

When we know people who sadly die, especially from cancer it makes us all concerned about our own health. That's a very natural response to the shock of losing someone. Hope you have someone to talk to and really hope your start to feel better soon. Sending you lots of love x

• No I have no sign of any illness eg.sore throat I’ve always had a problem with my mouth and getting mouth ulcers (nothing I can do I’ve tried everything) 

about 4 years ago I was seen about swollen lymph nodes behind my ear and it has never been “right” since (swells up for a while then goes). I was looking through my medical history and read things they tested for and I noticed that they never tested for cancer (probably because I was “too young”) so that’s another concerning factor 

Thanks for ur reply. I have no one outside of my family to talk to as u fake friends happen. I can’t even talk to my older sister as she died when I was 4 so it feels good to talk to someone else who easy to talk too. So thank u xx

•  

Hi Coco,

I am sorry to hear about your worries. If your parents brought you to see a doctor with the lymph nodes behind your ears about 4 years ago, surely they will bring you to get these new nodes checked out too? Unfortunately, there is no way that you can do this on your own, if you are relying on them to pay any medical bills.

Could you confide in a school teacher or is there anyone else that you could discuss this with?

I am not a doctor, but am aware that there are a number of different causes for this, for example if you have a throat or tooth infection, your lymph nodes can swell. I can understand that you are scared, particularly when you are thinking in terms of cancer. I am sorry to hear that you lost someone close to cancer last year. Was the person who died a family member, or just a close friend? Some families carry a cancer gene, which makes their children prone to cancer, but this is unlikely at your age, if you are not a direct descendant of the person who died.

However, it is important that you get this checked out again. Did they tell you what caused the swelling behind your ears last time? I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister at such a young age.

Please try and tell someone as soon as you can and make an appointment to see your GP. The sooner you get this checked out, the sooner you can stop worrying.

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• No I’ve never found out and the medical form says “undetermined” and no he was a good family friend (priest) we were really close to him as he looked out for us and he buried my older sister when I was 4 so i practly grew up with him visiting my house 

I’m going to try talk to my mum. Do u have any advice? If not that’s ok 

thanks x

•  

Hi Coco,

As a said above, I am not a doctor, so cannot give you ay medical advice. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 10 years. Undetermined is never a satisfactory answer to a problem like this. we all want answers that make sense.

At 16 you are a young adult yourself now, so hold your ground with your mum. Tell her what you have found and how it has grown. Sometimes, it is helpful to keep note of the dates that you found the swelling initially and the times when you see any changes. This can be helpful for your GP. You cannot catch cancer from another person, so you will not have inherited anything from your priest friend. However, losing someone to cancer does make us all more aware of the devastation that it can cause.

At your age it is unlikely, although not impossible for your symptoms to be due to cancer, but you are always best to get it checked out, just in case. I am sure that you already know that if there is cancer present, the sooner it is caught and treated, the better your chance of survival.

I am still hopeful that you have something simple like a infection, which can easily be cleared with antibiotics, but your GP is the only person who can prescribe these, so you really do need to make an appointment to see him.

I hope that your mum will listen to you and help you to get this attended to.

Do please let me know how you get on. Remember that I am always here anytime you want to talk.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• My mum knows that the lumps are getting bigger and finally agrees with me that they are real and told me she wouldn’t take me to the doctors so I told her that if they haven’t gone in 2 days that I’m going to the doctors with or without her permission 

my my dad just laughed at me again so yea that happened. 

I have a dentist appointment coming up soon at the end of the month as a regular dental cleaning. So I’ll get him to check for me and give me his opinion if I don’t get a doctors appointment 

•  

Oh Coco,

It is certainly worth mentioning it to your dentist and asking for his opinion when you see him. Did your mum say why she wouldn't take you to your GP? I don't know what the legal age that you can go to the doctor on your own is in Ireland (I presume that you live there?), but in the UK we can attend on our own from the age of 16.

What is your GP like? If you explained the situation, would he be prepared to just examine you without charge. If he found anything suspicious, he could then ask your parents permission to do further investigations. Surely they would not refuse you permission for further tests, if your GP deemed them necessary?

Get your mum to check the lumps for a few days and, see if she relents in the end.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Yes I do live in Ireland but my doctors clinic is a good 45min drive away from where i live and I live way up the country side. Not sure what the legal age is to go by yourself tho

•  

Hi Coco,

I have done a little research for you and have found that if you are over 16, but under 18 years of age, you can consent to surgical and medical treatment. However, some doctors and hospitals may still want to involve your parents or guardians in these decisions, and they will need your consent to do so.

Do you have any relatives, close family friends or perhaps a teacher, who you could confide in about this?

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx