Help

Hi everyone...I don't know where to start! I was diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer and had chemo and radiotherapy 2years ago exactly. I was supposed to have brachotherapy but I just completely lost my mind and never followed through with anymore appointments or treatment!!I was never given the all clear,  I've buried my head in the sand and tried everyday to put it out of my head, i just stopped engaging. I stopped leaving my home altogether and have not stepped outside for the last 2years and i tried to put all thoughts of cancer away although it really hasn't worked because I've also spent the last two years paranoid of every sore throat and bellyache. But now I really do feel like my body is telling me all is not right!  I know how lucky I've been to have had these two years and that there are some who will think me ignorant for not continuing to at least have seen a doctor. But I have 3young boys and I've just been so terrified of the outcome and everyday that I got through I thought was a miracle. But now I can really feel something's wrong!! My lower back on the side of the tumor is agony! How do I face it now if it turns out that I could have been cured had I continued treatment...but now instead if I restart appointments they tell me its still there and worse its terminal!  I'm just so angry with myself I feel like I've been so selfish and I just don't know what to do next. Do I just continue with what I've been doing....nothing, because so far for 2years its worked. Or do I contact the oncologist and restart appointments/treatment.  I'm terrified either way. I hate this deep gutteral agonising feeling of dread that surrounds me. How do you cope with this feeling of helplessness! The fear that maybe soon tommorow won't be there for me? My babies need me. How can I cope with knowing that the greatest loss of life my boys will have to experience will be faced without me because of me? How do I find the strength to face this? I feel so alone and I just need some outlet to get this off my chest its such a weight on my shoulders..I'm in such pain mentally and physically I just am not dealing with anything very well at all.

• A warm welcome to our forum, tash74.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, I can't imagine what a difficult time this must be for you.

It is understandable that you were and probably are still terrified from your experience with cancer two years ago but please go back to your doctor as soon as you can. Even if the pain you are feeling at the moment is not cancer-related they are likely to be able to help you.

Also, if you feel like speaking to someone on the phone might help, our nurses will be glad to chat with you and they can be reached via this phone number 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

I hope you get the help you need soon. And if you find a moment, come back and keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Wishing you the very best,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Please don't give yourself such a hard time.  I have never suffered from cancer but I have seen family and friends go through this and would certainly not judge you for your fears.  But that was then and it is entirely possible that you would have been feeling ill again now whether you had finished your treatment or not.  Put it behind you and concentrate on doing the best you can for your situation now.  The important thing is to see your doctor now.  The best thing you can do for your boys is get yourself seen ASAP.  The fact that you have kept going for two years is not a good reason for doing nothing now and I think you know that.  I can understand that this is frightening but that is more of a reason to find out what is causing your pain in the back.  Please believe everyone who reads this will want you to move forward now and wish you well.