Hello There

Hi there 

I am new to this website and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year and just a few weeks ago we were told he had the all clear, but just this week I was told by my uncle that it was back and this time it was terminal and nothing could be done. He has been given a timescale of 1 to 3 years.  

What is making it harder for me is I am in Scotland and he stays in Australia

I can not stop feeling so helpless as there is nothing I can do. 

Any ideas how I can stop this ?

• Hi Dawn,

I think when someone we love is diagnosed with cancer, this feeling of helplessness is pretty universal. I know I felt the same when my mother was suffering from breast cancer. The sad fact is, medically speaking there is nothing we can do. All we can do is to offer support which in your case is made even harder because of the distance.

I know how you feel for my father lives in Canada and he is 93 years old and has been very unwell over the past few months. His prostate cancer has returned after twenty years and he recently told one of my half sisters, he thinks the end is near. So I di understand how you feel.

All I could suggest is to see if between the two of you, maybe you could set up Skype so you can see and talk to each other on your computers as it doesnt cost anything this way and you can see each other.Wishing you and your father all the best and please keep in contact, Brian.

• Hello Dawn

Welcome to the forum though always sad to see another family in emotional turmoil due to a terminal cancer diagnosis.  Though distance was not an issue for me (it was my husband with the cancer) the helplessness, as Brian says, is pretty much the same for all  families.  Brian's suggestion about Skype sounds a great idea and there is another member of the forum who uses this method to stay in touch with her own family in Scotland (she is in Australia) and it may help being able to see and talk to your Dad for free during this emotional journey.

Any time you need to offload come and visit the forum as there is much support and understanding to be found here. All the very best. Jules54

• Thank you Brian, we have managed to set up FaceTime and hope to use that on Sunday

I was all set to try and get some tickets to get out and see him, but we have been told to wait on buying the tickets by my stepmum

Will be phoning him on Thursday as he has the hospital and see what the update is 

Thank you 

Dawn 

• Hi Jules54

Thank you very much for your suggestions

Hoping to use FaceTime on Sunday 

Dawn 

• Hi Dawn

That sounds great. Also hope you will be able to speak with him and  your stepmum after his visit to hospital on Thursday. Time difference must mean extra planning and I am sure you will be able to work out the best time to visit which is good for  you all. all the very best.Jules