Hello, I'm new.

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in September 2016 after discovering an Inverted Nipple. I have had surgery, Chemo and Radiotherapy and take Letrozole daily. Have recently been told I am 'in remission' so over the moon but also feel a little anxious about what happens next. 

•  

Hi KnitGirl,

Welcome to our forum.

You do not say what type of breast cancer you have or what stage it is. This all has a bearing on how good your chances are.  How long are you likely to be taking Letrozole for?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 and again in 2011. I had a lumpectomy followed by Tamoxifen first time around and a double mastectomy followed by Letrozole for 6 years the second time.

I stopped taking Letrozole in July 2017 and expected to feel over the moon, because treatment had stopped. Instead, I felt as if my safety blanket had been whipped away from under me.

When my consultant told me that I could stop taking the Letrozole, she  also told me that protocols had changed and, that they are now recommending that people continue with it for 10 years, instead of the previous 5. She didn't think that I would benefit from the longer regime due to the type of cancer I have.

I am afraid that we all have the worry about what lies ahead of us. With the treatment regime you've had, you have done all in your power to ensure that it stays away. There is no point in worrying about what might come to pass, as there's nothing that you can do about it.

I am glad to hear that you've been told that you are in remission and hope that you remain so for many years to come.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx