Hello....

I had oral cancer in 2002. The plan was to remove that part of my tongue and graft skin from my arm to rebuild it.

I woke up after the op. and looked at my Mum and sister. Then at my arm. Nothing missing! "Did they postpone again?" I asked. My op. had been rescheduled from the previous day.

Turned out the surgeon had used lasers so my tongue was saved. Just a wee bit missing. I had been cut ear to ear around my neck to remove the lymph glands.  Then a month of radiotherapy with my mask! A bit of speech therapy to get over the lisping!

The swelling around my neck took ages to go down. When I was tired or run down my face would swell a bit and I'd lisp.

I asked on one of my check ups why I kept ballooning. "You don't know what we did in there" was the answer.

Now, 18 years later, I have it back again under my tongue and rather large. I can't imagine life without eating. I was on liquids/mush for nearly a year back then. I'm scared to get professionals involved, then scared of untreated cancer.

I'm in such a quandary.

• Hi there. I’m so sorry to hear of this. 

Can i ask did you get pains in your tongue or any other symptoms. I’ve been getting some pains around the back of my tongue for a while now. Got bloods done and waiting on a referral. 

I hope all goes well for you. 

Kindest regards D 

• I'm sorry to hear about the return of your cancer. 18 years is such a long time too. I have recently finished treatment for breast cancer and can imagine how devastating it must be to have it return. I hope that yours can be treated as soon as possible and the outcome is good.Best wishes

Silver 

• Hello Silver!!

hope you don't mind me contacting you 'out of the blue'. It was good to see you pop up when I was checking out the forum as I tend to do periodically. Maybe not so often these days but I still like to check in. 

So it's been a year since my breast op and all is going well. I DO hope it's similuar for you, though you went through a much tougher time than I did. 

I feel well and 'through' with cancer (apart from the niggling doubts...will it come back? What's that pain? Etc etc. ) I am trying hard though to just 'get on' and live my life. It's getting easier but I imagine 'scary days' will always happen on occasion. It's the way of things.  

We got our puppy a month ago!!  A Golden Doodle!! She is a delight and keeps us busy. Changed our lives really but in a good way. Can't wait to take her to the beach but that will have to wait of course. 

I was talking to a friend the other day who describes the virus as the scariest thing she has ever experienced. 
    Well my view is the virus IS scary but cancer is scarier!! Washing your hands and social distancing won't cut it with cancer will it. It takes rather more than that!! 

I am rather taken aback how quickly other people 'forget' what our diagnosis was..  I don't want sympathy or special treatment but to be frank I would quite like a friend to mention it sometimes. I do get scared occasionally. It did shake me to my core and no I haven't just blanked it out. Anyway a small criticism I suppose because I had brilliant support whilst it was happening. It's weird though how it's now become a non-topic.
    Sending you positive vibes!!

Kebbs x x 

• Hello Marksgirl,

I am so sorry to hear cancer has come back. 

Firstly please get treatment. Yes it's scary and a trial in itself but our lives are precious and it's the only way forward. Go for it. You ARE so worth it. 

Secondly I must apologise for using you post as a way of contacting one of the people who responded to you. I just got the lines of communication mixed up. So sorry. 

Wishing you good luck. 

Kebbs.