Hello

My children's Father, my ex-husband was Diagnosed with Lung Cancer almost a year ago. He had the left lung removed,,and got into a Clinical Trial on the Right Lung.

76 yr old male,,former smoker, quit 15 yrs, exercised and fairly good diet.,Did followup after Lung Removal, Strong Chemo Treatments for 6 wks.,

In past month he Developed a Lump near Adams Apple, it grew quickly to size of a Golf Ball. Dr.,did recent Pet Scan this past week ,,and results show Liver lighting up and Throat. My Daughter asked about his Prognosis,,Dr.,said , maybe 9 mos.

Kids are devastated. As it was, he only has 30% Breathing Capacity in right lung. He cld. Not go through more Chemo. Any thoughts?

• Hi Marsidoats2018.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm so sad to hear of your ex-husband's condition.

There comes a point where medical science can't cure someone, but can only make their final days more comfortable. Despite giving up smoking, he clearly stopped too late to reverse the damage done. Smokers are many times more likely to get lung cancer and typically die 10 years earlier than non-smokers.

However, his death won't be in vain if you and your children join a campaign to dissuade others from taking up the habit. Despite their many lies and obfuscations, tobacco companies peddle their evil wares to children, knowing that getting them to start young means they have them hooked for life - even though it's a life that will be cut short.  

• Hi there... 

Some people need to fight till their last breath, others want quality over quantity...  every ones journey should be theirs ... whichever they choose  ... is a few months more worth the extra chemo with his health as it is ?  On my journey, I'm in control of what I will or will not do ... I way everything up, and l alone decide ., with full support from my family .. it gives me back the dignity of choosing ..

I'd just say, listen to what HE wants .. and hold his hand on the journey he chooses to take .. and hold on to every day, and make as many good memories as you all can with him ... maybe there's something he still wants to do, or see .. how everyone is now can make this last path worth walking together ..

Sending you all a big hug ... chrissie