Health Anxiety

I am a 29 year old woman and I have suffered health anxiety since I was 11 year old when I found a lump in my jawline sitting in maths class. I remember the day like it was yesterday and was too terrified to tell my parents or go to the doctors so kept the agonising secret to myself for years and years which  I feel robbed me of my childhood as it consumed me day in day out terrified that I had cancer and was going to die. Fast forward 18 years and I now know that it will of just been a lymphnode but I am still absolutely terrified of having or getting cancer. This is the only disease that terrifies the life out of me. It doesn't help that all we hear in the news lately is about cancer and cancer story lines on television terrify me that much I can't watch them. I'm currently experiencing pains in the left side of my neck with a tightness feeling and tingling sensations in the leftside of my face/top jaw. I have been to the doctors 4 times in the last 4week where I have been diagnosed differently every time. I.e. muscular pain, ear ache, and ear infections. After 7 days of antibiotics the pain is still there and after my last visit to the doctor today where I broke down in tears due to the stress/worry of it all she has diagnosed me with health anxiety and also sent me for blood tests to check my white bloodcells to try and put my mind at rest as she can't find anything wrong after a full examination. The anxiety is awful and even more so that I can't bring myself to tell any of my family how bad I actually am as I am always the strong minded one who doesn't show emotion. I have a 3 year old boy and it's affecting the time I spend with him as I am constantly panicking about my own health and focusing on my symptoms. I end up feeling so guilty when I cant be happy with him :-(

Does anyone relate?? Or have any advice or books/websites i can read that might help?! 

Thanks 

• Hello LDN3004, 

Welcome to our forum. You have taken an important step already in acknowledging that you suffer from health anxiety and it's good that the doctor has also diagnosed you with it and I hope that you have been given some help to manage it. There are things you can do like CBT techniques to try and break this anxiety cycle you find yourself in and which has become very much of a habit as you have had this problem for 18 years now. So do ask your doctor if there is any help available for you to help you deal with this anxiety. Try and stay away from any trigger which will exacerbate your anxiety, for example looking anything up online as it will only feed into your worries and make you feel even worse. Have a look too at the AnxietyUK website where you may find resources to help you cope and manage this anxiety.

I hope everything goes well for you and your blood test results give you the reassurance you need at the moment. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator