Health Anxiety?

I'm a 17 year old female. Ever since the lockdown had been announced I've realised how worried I've been about my health. Mainly because the constant news updates about how hospitals are filling up and there's no space etc, I keep worrying thinking if somethings happened to me would the hospitals come on time or will something happen?

I started off having headaches which I normally get often and I was never too worried about before. I started googling, checking symptoms of what I had - bear in mind I was just looking for some reassurance of how it might not be too bad. But I ended up reading about brain aneurysms, which became my worry for the rest of the night. Constantly thinking it'll happen and for the next few days became aware of every single pain, sensation, feeling in my body, googling to an extentttt to see what illnesses or conditions I might have, whether they're life threatening or not. I've basically managed to self diagnose every illness out there. I've had chest pains, dry eyes, my asthma acting up, headaches, jaw pain, constipation, and in those 2/3 weeks where my stress and anxiety was playing up I kept thinking whether it's my last day.

I've spoken to my mom about my worries before but she doesn't take them serious, neither does anybody else. I guess nobody understands what you're going through until they've gone through it or are going through it now. It went to the point where I'd go into my room or bathroom alone and cry myself worrying what I have. Alhamdulilah they've calmed down now compared to before but I'll still worry here and there about whether I have a specific Illness, right now it's to do with my brain. And I can't visit a GP now due to the coronavirus getting worse, and I doubt the hospitals would carry out tests now so I'm worrying even more.

Ive joined a different forum before but barely had any responses on my two questions and i'm so sorry if I've triggered anybody, I understand we're not alone with what we're going through and I sincerely hope you're all doing good.

• Welcome to the forum Aniissy although I'm sorry to read what's troubling you.

Health anxiety can be difficult to manage but do be sure to get in touch with your doctor as they will be in the best position to help. Most GP surgeries are offering telephone consultations at the moment so do try and get one booked in when you can.

There are a lot of handy tips and advice for managing healthy anxiety on the Anxiety UK website as well.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself and try not to have the news on too much at the moment as it will only heighten your worries.

All the best,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator