Headwear

Hi.  I have my first chemotherapy treatment tomorrow (for breast cancer) and am a little apprehensive to say the least.  I have been looking around at headscarves/beanies etc but there are so many!  Can anyone recommend a particular site/make that is comfortable and look ok too - Thank you xx

• Living Well with Cancer have some that look OK. The MacMillan office in the oncology unit I went to also sold some rather nifty winter head gear. 

• Hi I lost my hair on chemo but didn’t want a wig, look on Etsy cancer headwear they have some great headwear .

• Hi catst, and welcome to Cancer Chat!

I wanted to stop by to welcome you and wish you luck for tomorrow.

I also wanted to pass on a link to Cancer Research UK's shop, which has a lovely line in soft and comfortable headwear: https://shop.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-care/during-treatment-aftercare/headwear

Do let us know how you get on if and when you feel able to.

All the best,

Helen
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi, I am going through chemo just now, if you are in the UK, your hospital will give you a voucher to buy a wig. I love mine and wouldn't go out without it, it's so comfortable and eventually softens and moulds into your head. I also bought sleep hats as I couldn't bare to shave my hair off so had to put up with the gradual loss which started about the third week after first treatment. I have now bought 5 different hats and they were all too big for me, I must have a small head lol. I managed to google small hat for chemo patient and I finally purchased a kids hat which is slightly better, so for me it's my new best pal wig every day and my kids hat at night. My wig is better than my own hair and most people don't know it's a wig. I wish you well in your treatment. 

• I ordered, and returned, loads of different chemo hats when starting treatment - the best option for me has been buying hijabs from ebay and following tutorials on Suburban Turban snd YouTube for headscarf tying. I found the hats very unflattering! Good luck for your first chemo session

• Apart from the crocheted beanies my daughter made, I bought two stretchy caps/neckies from an outdoor shop.  They’re open both ends, are incredibly comfortable, don’t need tying like a scarf, wash well and come in a variety of patterns and colours.  Apart from my wig, they’re what I wear most often.  I really recommend them.