Hard lump on left breast.

I’m 18 and I’ve got a hard big marble sized lump on my left breast. It’s not painful or anything and it’s been there awhile and I’ve just ignored it (stupid I know but I’m currently doing an apprenticeship and I have a lot of coursework). It feel smooth and round as if it is just a marble under my skin. Nobody in my family has had cancer and I’m not sure exactly what it is.. 

Sounds silly but I’m to scared to go to the doctors just incase it is anything serious.. 

Any ideas of what it could be? 

• Hi Shann

Please talk to your doctor to get it checked out , maybe 

talk to a friend , mum or relative that you can go with .

Better to be safe and get the checks done xx

Work will understand but your health is more important 

Mel x 

•  

Hi Shann,

A very warm welcome to our community. I am sorry to hear about the lump that you've found. Most breast cancers are not painful. The lumps are often hard and are jagged at the edges, so hopefully, there is nothing untoward.

I appreciate that you are busy with your apprenticeship, but I totally agree with Mel. If your GP suspects anything serious, s/he will refer you to the breast clinic. You will normally be seen here within 2 weeks. On your first visit, you will be a guinea pig for various tests, usually mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. There is then another wait for 1-2 weeks before you get your results. Out of every 10 people referred to the breast clinic, only 1 will be cancerous, so the odds are good for you.

If there is a cancer present, the longer you delay investigation, the poorer the outlook can be, so please make an immediate appointment with your GP. If you tell your receptionist why you need an urgent appointment, they will usually try to fit you in as soon as possible.

It is usually a good idea to bring someone with you to all of your breast clinic appointments. Do you have a family member or friend who could accompany you?

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx