Hair loss

hello. Does anyone know the best places to go to get wigs.  Thank you.

• Hi, if you are not with the NHS then one of your local hairdressers can get a wig for you. You can talk to them first about what style you would like. A charity was set up to train hairdressers to fit wigs for cancer patients and others with hair loss, http://www.mynewhair.org/ and you can find a list of salons from their website. If you are with the NHS then your prosthetics department can supply a wig but you may have to pay for it. Ask your cancer nurse or someone from the department. I was exceptionally happy with my NHS wig. There are many online wig companies. www.cancerhaircare.co.uk is also a useful resource. All good wishes Theresa

• Thank you so much for this very useful information. Thank you

• Your hospital should be able to help with leaflets about local wig suppliers also try local cancer charities as they will have local contacts, not sure where you live. I just bought one I couldn't use my NHS voucher as I've gone for real hair it looks really good and I'm pleased with it although still sad to have lost my own hair. www.nhs.uk/.../wigsandfabricsupports.aspx

Angela

• Hi Nanny

As others have said you get a voucher for an NHS wig.  Some hospitals have a shop on site you can choose from quite a large selection and you only pay for a higher quality one.

I found having treatment during the winter that hats were better when going out and I bought a couple of thin ones that I could wear round the house. ( I really did not suit bald). 

Christies in Manchester has a dept run by volunteers called Headstart and they sell scarfs etc at cost and show you how to do really fancy headcoverings.  So ask at the hospital if they have anything local.

You may need some eyebrow pencil as well for when they dissapear.

Dont worry it all comes back.  River

• Thank you for you help.  SOrry I didn't acknowledge it before.  I tend to get sort of lost in the forum. I did learn that Baby shampoo is NOT the way to go. All it does if stop the shampoo stinging babies eyes, otherwise its rather like normal shampoo, just thinner.  Ive gone with Simple shampoo.  Good old simple soaps. Always the best way to go lol.  Thank you again.River 56

• Thank you so much for your reply.  I think Ive got it all sorted now.  Sorry I took an age to acknowledge. Im not to good on finding my way around this forum yet.

• Hi Nanny

Hows it going.  I always use simple shampoo because I have a reaction to some ingreadient in shampoos that gives me spots round my hair line.  When I lost my hair I still shampooed my scalp with a small amount rather than soap or shower gel.