Hair loss

Well 15 days after chemo and my hair has started to fall out i wont lie im devastated im one of them women that has had long hair forever i dont even like getting it cut. I did try the cold cap but seems like that was unsuccessful. I am going to struggle going out in public this sounds very vain and i know its silly but i cant help it,can anyone share how they coped in this situation please. X

• Hi Jojo31,

It doesn't sound vain at all, it's completely understandable. My reply here will boost your post so more people will see it, and hopefully others will pop along soon to offer replies and advice.

You may also wish to browse or search the forum (using the button in the blue bar above) for any other relevant discussions that may be helpful.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Jojo,

My hair fell out too after my first chemo. I've had the second now and its just a fuzz on top of my head, not a good look! i havent gone as far a s the bald shave yet, but maybe as there is not much left.

I too was attached to my hair, it was plentiful and I had highlights every 6 weeks!

It is devastating but everyone tells me it will grow back, just got to get through the treatment.

I made an appointment with the wig man at the Mcmillan Centre at the  Hospital, he was very nice, cut my hair short in a nice style and then fitted me with a wig similar to my hair before. The wigs now are good and I feel quite confident going out and nobody notices. You also are given an amount towards the wig so they are not too expensive.

At home I have jersey caps with long scarves attached in different colours. The chiffon scarf ones are very light so quite comfortable. I wear those around the house and they are easy to pull on if there's a sudden knock on the door and you want to feel covered. They are from Annabandana.com

We lost our hair but the most important thing through all this is that we've lost the cancer!

Take heart,

Silver x 

• Awaiting second cycle. However had llots of side effects after first cycle. My white cells were low and was admitted in hospital. My oncologist told me that on my second cycle they will not give  me the injection to boost white cells due to side effects l had .Did anyone experienced this before 

• Thankyou i will check out the website for the scarfs , Ive been out today with a wide  soft headband in whilst i still have a bit of hair left didnt feel as bad as i thought. But of course you are right it is better than what cud of been had we been to late for treatment. Take care x

• Hi JoJo, I too can empathise. I've always had longish, natural dark blonde hair and it started coming out in clumps 3 weeks after cycle 1, and what made it worse was it was unexpected as the nurse told me I wouldn't lose it! Initially I bought a suburban turban jersey cap (Genevieve) to wear out as the top of my head was the worst, I liked the fact it was more baker boy than turban. I got a couple of inches cut off the length of my hair but couldn't face getting it cut shorter. After visiting several wig shops, I've now got a wig. I practised in the house the first few days and wore it out on Saturday for the first time, for about 6 hours. I won't lie, I did feel self conscious and was terrified of it pinging off but it didn't and it was actually quite comfortable.

I know some people go for a different look but I've never been adventurous with my hair and wanted a wig that was as close to my colour and style as possible. I'm now considering a second one as backup...

It's heartbreaking when you comb it each day and clumps are coming out and you leave a trail on the floor and your clothes are covered. I've still got a small amount of hair left and am only washing it once a week with a natural shampoo and conditioner, it feels so weird not having the volume I used to when washing it, it used to be bad enough after getting it cut as it felt so much shorter!

Let us know how you get on.

Ruth x

• Hi Pjkka

I too was ill after cycle 1 with lots of side effects and admitted into hospital as my neutrophils were zero. I had cycle 2 of a lower dose and different drugs last week and they gave me 3 of the GCSF injections to take on days 3, 4 and 5. I didn't have the injections after the chemo, just when I was admitted into hospital so fingers crossed I'm ok this time (this is day 8). Interesting that you're saying they are not giving you the injections for cycle 2...

Ruth