Hair loss

Hello all...I've just completed 4 cycles of chemotherapy and I don't need anymore.

I haven't lost all my hair, just bald patches and hair thinning...

Question is, should I cut my all my hair and let it grow fresh or does it really not matter?

• Welcome to the forum Bal159,

I'm glad to hear that you don't need anymore chemo after completing 4 cycles although I'm sorry to hear it has affected your hair. Choosing whether to remove all your hair is a very personal decision that many members on the forum have also had to go through and I hope you get to meet some of them soon. We have some information about hair loss, hair thinning and cancer drugs on our website here that I hope will help with your decision as well.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi I realise I am 4 years late to your post but I was wondering which option you went with? I have just finished 3 cycles and my hair sounds similar to yours. I'm undecided what to do with it. I don't love how it looks now but also worried it won't look good bald. But also worried that if I leave it the new hair will look odd coming back through my existing hair.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

• Bali159

Hi Bali159

Sorry your experiencing some hair loss, it's difficult to deal with.

I had 8 cycles of chemotherapy drugs,and started losing my hair after the first two cycles of it. I knew I had 6 more to go and would eventually lose the lot, so as it was very long I cut it shorter to my shoulder level.  It was hot weather and it still kept falling out in clumps, and sticking to my body, which I couldn't stand. So I was brave and got my hair clippers out and shaved the lot off. And although I felt sad,I also felt in control,and boy did that feel good.

I bought myself three wigs,and some head scarf type of chemotherapy hats and turban looking ones to wear indoors. My hair is now growing back,which was one of the things I was petrified off, I kept thinking what if it doesn't grow back. But of course it is, doing just that all be it I've got chemo curl lol. But my advice to you is,do what ever is  right for you,go by whst your thoughts and feelings are,and then you will feel happier and in control,and feeling in control is a good start. 

Good luck with what ever you decide,and good luck with all your treatments. Do keep.us posted on how your doing on here x

• Hi Ejjo,

I recal getting like a 2 all over. It looked alot shorter but sort of hid the patchniess of my hair. With longer hair, the patchniess seems more obvious. 

Id speak to the barber, tell them your situation. Tell them you want to see what 3 feels like, then do a 2 and so on. Or do it with your own set of clippers get someone to help you.

I hope that makes sense. good luck with the treatment, smash it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks,

Bal

• Hey Jassoscared,

My post was few years ago but ive told Ejjo what i decided to do. I am in good health, been in remission for 4.5 years.

And your hair does grow back healthier than ever. Just be patient :). Just my white hairs i have to worry about now lol.

I hope your treatments go well. Stay postivie, good energy and vibes only and you will get through it.

Bal

• Thanks so much [@Bal159]

I think I am going to go with your advice. How long did it take til the new hair regrew and it looked like the thickness you used to have (even if it was still short)?

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it :) 

• No worries.

It may differ with everyone but it didnt take too long for me to get my thickness back. It starts growing as soon as youre off the medice. Couple of months max id say but i did keep my short hair for a while longer because i got used to it lol and required less work to look after.  No itchy scalp etc.