Hair colouring

are semi permanent dyes ok to use ? It goes no where near the scalp ? 

• Hiya gillypops.  Forgive me - I am not very bright first thing in the morning - but is your query linked to a national newspaper's headline "Hair dye could cause cancer - and brunettes are at greater risk".  I have dug down a bit and read some of the methodology but - and I am no expert researcher by any means - the lurid statement seemed to get somewhat diluted the deeper I dug.  I got to the bit where a small number of hairdressers seemed to be at risk from contact with permanent hair dyes.  But I am in no way competent to make any sort of dogmatic statement one way or the other.  Do the good people at CRUK have any thoughts on this?

On this website the only information about hair dyes which I can find is to recommend that you could damage your hair if you use dyes  after having chemotherapy because your hair is fragile at this time. I am attaching it for your information.

www.cancerresearchuk.org/.../hair-dye

It may be that others on this forum are able to provide some more useful information.  Best wishes.  Annie

• Hi Gillypops,

As AnnieLiz says. I'm not sure if you're asking about using semi-permanent hair dye while going through treatment, or if you're asking if it's safe in general.

With this in mind, I thought I'd link you to a couple of things that might be helpful.

The first is a brilliant post written a while ago by dinky, in response to another person's question about whether it's safe to dye hair while on chemo?

The page AnnieLiz has pointed to is helpful on this subject, too. 

Finally, I'm including some general information about the safety of cosmetics and toiletries, which discusses the risk factors and will hopefully put your mind at rest. 

If you have any further questions, our friendly nurse team would be only too happy to talk - you can call them on 0808 800 4040 (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm). 

With best wishes,

Helen
    Cancer Chat moderator