Gullet cancer

Someone really close to me has been diagnosed with the above. There are so many questions id like to ask but i cant. He is having chemo for 11 weeks then radiotherpy then an op next year. What kind of stage is this?

• Welcome to the forum Emma although I'm sorry to read about your friend's diagnosis and for the reason you are posting.

If you feel you are unable to ask this person your questions maybe you could have a quiet word with their family members or partner (if they have one) instead? I have included some general information that we have on our website about guller cancer for you to have a look at but you can chat to our cancer nurses about their diagnosis and the treatment they are having. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope this helps and you are able to get your questions answered.

Best wishes to you both, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Emma,

I have the same type of cancer - please feel free to ask any questions you might have.  

The type of treatment doesn't really relate to the stage of the cancer. The exact location of the cancer and whether it has grown into, or out from, the gullet/oesophagus has more bearing on the type of treatments that might be suitable than anything else. 

There's a lot on information about cancer of the gullet or oesophagus at the address that Steph posted earlier  www.cancerresearchuk.org/.../oesophageal-cancer

I hope this helps

Dave 

• Thank you so much for replying. Its my ex-husband that has the cancer, although we have been divorced for several years we have two daughters together (aged 13 and 15) but he has decided he doesn't want them to know at this stage. They know he has a tumour but not that its cancer. He was diagnosed back at the end of October, all I know is that he is now having chemo started that about 3 weeks ago, he said he is in a lot of pain and that by now it should have eased off but it hasn't and the doc said this could be the medication attacking the tumour. Anyway he started radiotherapy Dec 19 with a planned operation next April which seem a long way off. I don't really want to ask him questions as I now hes not feeling too good at the moment. Does this all mean that he stands a chance of survival? will the chemo definitely work?
  • Hi Emma,

I only have my own experience to refer to - there are no guarantees with chemo or any of the other therapies. When I was diagnosed at Stage 4, the only option I was given was palliative chemo with a minimum life expectancy of 2 to 3 months. The fact that his care team are making plans for April must surely be a good sign. You really need to ask him the questions you have, if only to make sure your daughters receive a consistent message from you both.

Your daughters are likely to be more nternet competent than most adults, they may well have researched their Dad's condition and have a good idea of their Dad's condition. They may even have jumped to the wrong conclusion and are assuming the worse.

Best wishes

Dave