Grade 2 invasive lobular breast cancer

Hi ppl.

So I was diagnosed last Thursday with grade 2 lobular breast cancer and am now awaiting MRI so am not sure of the stage yet. Been told a lumpectomy/mastectomy depending on MRI result and a couple of lymph nodes, radiotherapy and hormone therapy for 5-10 yrs. My question is has any1 similar to me had chemotherapy too ? As it wasn't mentioned until I asked in which they said we wouldn't no until my MRI results. Was 43 last Saturday! Married and a mum to 3 children, daughter 16 son 14 an youngest son 7. Opp isn't bothering it's all the side effects I'm reading !!

• Hi,  I was dianosed in April this year with the same , I had grade 2/3 invasive cancer ,  I had a routine managram check up, as you I was really shocked and didnt know how to feel about it all really, however I have had my lump removed ,  and lymph nodes taken, that for me is quite a strange painful recovery, like stinging nettles pain , can not really explain it but not very nice.  I have to have another surgery 15th July, that seems to be quite common as they did not have 2mm clear cancer free tissue.  My lump has been sent to America for a special test to determine weather I need chemo or just Radiotherapy.  It was explained that they found that lots of women were given chemo when they may not have needed ir as it is very invasive and doing this  test scores the chance of my cancer returning if it is scored 0-25 it is very low and a great change of not returning so I will have another surgery and radiotherpy, if the score is 25-plus the charges are higher so I will need Chemo,  They now have so much more treatment available and can offer less invasive treatment now, we have apprantley the most common breast cancer and very treatable, in fact my sister called me yesterday and was dianosed with a 8mm breast cancer as well , so I am very postive and although feel low some days , I will be Ok as I trust my surgeon and beleive that its gonna be a rough ride for a while but will be OK.  So chemo is not always the answer any more....  I hope you find this helpful

• Hi tjackson119.

Thanks for your reply it's really comforting knowing some1 else knows what I'm talking about, I have alot of support but it's so hard talk to them when they dont really understand it , and yes I agree it is a little daunting just thinking about it all ! But like you I have full faith in my surgeon and I no its treatable. Had my letter this morning for MRI on Sunday so will no more next Thursday at my appointment. Are you taking hormone therapy? I hope all goes well for your 2nd opp xx

• Hi, 

I will have to take them but not untill all my treatment is done 5 - 10 years i think , if you are really stressed you can start to take them I think, I have a friend who is taking hers already,  the treatment seems to somewhat differ I think, I was not offered a MRI scan and I know a few ladies that I was in hospital with on the day of my lumpsecomy were given Hormone therapy before the surgery, so it seems slightly different for each one.   Mine was 25mm so I was really surprised when I was told.   I have my appointment tomorrow for my results to see if its chemo , I do hope not I would prefer surgery and roadiotheraphy but what will be will be !!!!   As easy as it is for all us us to be told,  please stay positive and stay focus on your life , family etc as thursday can seem a long way off, but it will come so enjoy the days inbetween. x

• I think its tamoxifen I will taking, not sure if it during or after radiotherapy, as far as I no it's an opp first then radiotherapy and hormone therapy, mine is lobuler cancer and its 3cm. Was told lobuler can break off and go to other parts of the breast that's why I'm having an MRI and to no what opp they will be doing as if it has gone elsewhere then i may need mastectomy. Fingers crossed it hasn't but I'm not too hopeful as there Is more lumpyness around the original lump! Think the waiting is the worst !

Good luck for tomorrow and thank you for your positive vibes x do let let me no how you get on xx

• Hi,

Thanks Ill let you know how is goes, but im a half glass full person, so i am expecting that the results is gonna be good, but the doubt is the worst and I am human as we all are so rollon tomorrow x  but I agree the waiting it the killer !!

I am post op 3 weeks now and I still can feel hardness in my breast and it has been taken out, so I do think the mind can make you think the worse, It has been in there this long so a few weeks does't  seem to matter to me.  But I know how you feel, it proberly isnt any bigger just your mind knows it there now !

xx

• Hey, was just sat thinking about you, how did it go yesterday? Hope all is well x 

• Hi Starlight22,

I have been reading your post and wondered how you are getting on. I was diagnosed with Grade 2 lobular breast cancer in July. I had an MRI scan which showed there were 2 cancerous areas which totalled an area of 50mm. I had a partial mastectomy with reconstruction done 3 weeks ago but then had to go back in for a second op last week  as my margins weren’t all clear. I am currently waiting to see if my treatment will be radio and hormone tablets or chemo. They have sent a sample of my tumour off for onco testing. Did you end up having to have chemo or not? My surgeon told me that lobular cancer doesn’t really respond well to chemo.

• Hi there, I had a mastectomy 7 weeks ago as mri had shown the tumour was larger at 7.9cm was told radiotherapy and hormone therapy for 10 yrs, Had my oncotype results back just yesterday morning and was told I had 2 types grade 2 and grade 3 so re diagnosed overall grade 3 stage 3 and had a recurrence score of 44 out of 100 !! So taking all in consideration and age i have now got to have chemo to, although I was prepared for It I was also stunned as It seems all along this journey my diagnosis keeps changing! But if any constellation I befriended a lady in hospital with the same diagnosis as you and she didnt need the chemo just radiotherapy and hormone therapy...good luck and best wishes on your journey xx

• Hi Starlight22,

Oh i am sorry to hear that. I agree how things change! I think we hang on to what we get told at our initial consultation and don’t always think things will change! They diagnosed the size of my 2 tumours together as 22mm but MRI scan showed it was a lot larger. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope your chemo goes as well as it can. X

• Hi Starlight 22,

been wondering how you are getting on? Have you started your chemo yet? Got my results back yesterday. Oncotype score was 16 so no chemo needed. Seeing oncologist on the 8th to talk radiotherapy.

caroline x