grade 2 brain tumour - informing the DVLA

So I saw the consultant yesterday and he is 90% sure I have a grade 2 benign tumour in my cerebellum but with our going in he can't say 100%, but he's not going to do any surgery etc and just watch and wait with regular scans. I'm guessing this is the best of the bad news he could of given me. He said he couldn't call it a grade one because I am middle aged (I'm only 39 :cry:​​​​​​) . I've now got to inform the DVLA because I have no symptoms and it was an incidental find in really hoping i can keep my licence think I will be lost without it. Does anyone have any experience with this and what are the odds on me still being able to drive? 

• Sorry to hear of your diagnosis . Hopefully , it will be slow growing and you have minimal symptoms .The issue with driving is that the brain tumour puts you at risk of having a seizure or seizures which could put you In danger of an RTA affecting both yourself and possibly others . 

I was diagnosed with metastatic renal cancer with secondaries in my lungs and brain . I am well and the only symptoms I have are due to the side-effects of radiotherapy and my targeted medication ( Sunitinib ) . The cancer is responding well to treatment . I have not had any seizures either .

As I expected the DVLA asked me to return my driving licence . I can reapply for one after two years with evidence that I have had no seizures and the condition is stable . My consultant is required to provide the medical evidence to support this . I'm an active 66 year old . I really miss the independence that driving gave me . I now have to rely on my husband to take me to appointments etc . But you are very young so giving up driving would be an even greater sacrifice .

( I am a retired optometrist who worked within a hospital ophthalmology department . I regularly had to advise patients that their vision did not meet the required standard for driving and that they would need to contact the DVLA ) 

I hope your condition remains stable and good luck . Angela

• Thank you for your reply, i guess the positive side is i'll get aIot fitter. I hope your treatment is going well.