Glioblastoma

My dad has Glioblastoma and has been fight for 19months now. He has been in the hospital since Dec31st . He has also got lymphoma that has spread from neck to stomach. 

When he went to hospital he could barely talk, walk or eat. They gave him steroids and it was like he came back to life. Then they reduce his steroids and was back to the same. Last week he was in and out of sleep for 2-3 days not eating, couldn't swallow use bathroom etc. Dr. told us he believed he was in his lasted months of life. 

The next day they gave him more steroids and was back to life again. When I say back to life.. it's not that he is running around it's just he can talk, eat and walk with his walker.

My question is can anybody tell me how long he can be on Steroids?

• As I noticed this is your first post here with us I just wanted to stop by and welcome you to Cancer Chat, Mahal2020 although I'm sorry to hear about the reason that brings you here.

Not having a medical background it is difficult for me to tell you how long your dad can stay on steroids but I hope that some of our members who can relate to your dad's situation will soon be along to chat with you and give advice.

Also, if you wish to speak to someone medically trained and ask this question or any you might have, our friendly team of cancer nurses will be happy to take your call on this number 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday, between 9 a.m - 5 p.m.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you and your dad all the best,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Mahal,

My husband went through the same thing several times. The corticosteroids (like Dexamethasone) have an immediate effect on the swelling in his brain. Oedema I think they call it. When my husband took the pills, it was like he woke up. He stayed on dexamethasone twice daily for a few weeks and then tapered it down as per the doctors orders. He was fine for some time, then when the symptoms came back, he was told to start on the steroids again.

It is important to taper off the steroids gradually, slowly reducing the dose, to help avoid recurrence of brain swelling. A few times my husband decided to drop the meds against the doctors wishes, because honestly he hated the side effects. However, every time he did so, it was like his brain switched off again... talking, walking and communicating became very difficult. The confusion came back.

As for how long, our doctor told my husband to stay on dexamethasone for several months. It is a question to ask your doctor. For us, he has been on a VERY low dose for about four months now. He kept experimenting until he foud a dose low enough to keep him somewhat awake but not too strong on the side effects.