GIST

Hi,

I have just found out my uncle has a rare form of cancer, GIST. We used to be really close but he has distanced himself a lot within the last few years and I rarely see or speak to him. I found out the news from my Aunty and I'm just wanting you reach out to let him know I'm here and I care deeply but I'm unsure what to say and how to go about it. It's so devastating to hear this news. Any suggestions welcome, Thank you 

• Hi,

My sister had a Gist tumour more than ten years ago. She had no symptoms that she could pinpoint, although she did say later, that she had never felt hungry for a couple of years before.  The first she knew was when it burst and she started vomiting huge quantities of blood. Fortunately her son was home at the time and got her to hospital immediately.  She had surgery and chemotherapy, which made her hands and feet sore, but recovered ok. She still  has check ups every so often but has had no recurrence.  As I said, that was more than ten years ago and she is still fighting fit and enjoying a very active life between, Long Beach, San Francisco and Belize. She is 70 this year!

Let's hope your uncle does as well.  I just told you this to show you it might not be as devastating as you think. You might want to tell your auntie, it might make her feel a bit more positive. 

Christine xx

• Thank you so much Christine I'll pass on the message. What great news to hear. This is my first experience with cancer and I literally don't know anything what it entails for the future. Fab news about your sister, it definitely makes us feel more positive about everything, thank you, Sarah xx 

• I'm glad to have made you feel a little bit better. What you will find, if you read lots of the threads on here, is that people are really scared when they, or loved ones are first diagnosed, but as time goes on and they learn more about their particular situation and hear real life experiences from others going through the same stuff and hear all the positive stories, they feel less scared and more confident that they haven't just received an imminent death sentence. 

C x