Gastroscopy without sedation.

I went for a gastroscopy yesterday. I was a little anxious after reading all the horror stories on the web.

l arrived and was met by excellent NHS staff who put my fears to bed, after a full explanation of the procedure I felt more at ease. I went for the throat spray which tastes like banana, couple of sprays and the numbness starts straight away. At no time did I feel I could not breath. I was told to lie on my left hand side, a mouth piece was fitted to protect my teeth. The consultant and nurses were excellent telling me everything to expect. When the endoscope was inserted I gagged twice and  felt no pain as it passed beyond my tongue. Bit of a weird sensation as it passes down but no pain. I could breathe absolutely fine. It was over in a matter of mins. Throat spray wore off 30 mins later, slight sore throat.

I'm feeling fine today and must say that all my anxiety was unnecessary.

• Hello Phild, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to come here and share your gastroscopy experience. I am so pleased to hear it all went so smoothly. It sounds like you were looked after by  a truly amazing consultant as well as excellent nurses. Funny that the throat spray tastes like banana! 

Your account will be truly reassuring to others who are currently feeling nervous, just like you were before you had the test.

I am glad you are feeling fine now and I keep everything crossed for you for good results!

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator